Admin Tool to Send Me Email

From
"Garris, Nicole"

We have been using PostgreSQL on Mac OS X for about a year now. Ongoing monitoring has proven very easy because the DBMS engine is so reliable, and mostly I use phpPgAdmin, an extremely useful tool. However, its worth my while to make it even easier. I would like a tool that would send an email whenever an error message is generated, such as messages from SQL class 53 (53100 disk full, 53200 out of memory, 53300 too many connections), class 57 operator intervention, class 58 system error, and a few others.

I looked for such a free tool on pgFoundry, Gborg, and postgresql.org’s Downloads page but didn’t see anything like it. If you know of one, I would really appreciate it if you provided the web site. Thank you!

Division by zero

From
Costin Manda
Date:
  In other SQL programs a division by zero is solved by transforming the
result to NULL. How can I make postgres have the same behaviour without
using CASE ?

Re: Division by zero

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 10:15:55AM +0300, Costin Manda wrote:

> In other SQL programs a division by zero is solved by transforming the
> result to NULL.

The SQL standards state that "If the value of a divisor is zero,
then an exception condition is raised: data exception -- division
by zero."  Databases that silently convert this exception to NULL
(e.g., MySQL) are violating standards.

> How can I make postgres have the same behaviour without using CASE ?

Why don't you want to use CASE?  Because it's unwieldy?

You could wrap CASE in a function and call that function instead
of using the / operator.  I'd avoid any temptation to change the
behavior of the operator itself because that could cause problems
in other code that isn't expecting it.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: Division by zero

From
"Craig Bryden"
Date:
Hi Costin

I am very experienced with MS-SQL and have had very basic training on Oracle
and both of these raise an exception as well. I would suggest that a RDBMS
that automatically converts to null is way off the standards.

Craig