Database monitor (again)

From
Edson Vilhena de Carvalho
Date:
Sorry but perhaps it is a database monitorizer that
makes the monitorization on the databases.
It's my english

Edson Carvalho

http://br.download.yahoo.com/messenger/

Re: Database monitor (again)

From
"Qingqing Zhou"
Date:
"Edson Vilhena de Carvalho" <edson_jvc@yahoo.com> writes
> Sorry but perhaps it is a database monitorizer that
> makes the monitorization on the databases.
> It's my english

Ok, don't worry about your English. Try to find out your questions in your
language here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq/

Regards,
Qingqing

Re: Database monitor (again)

From
"Dann Corbit"
Date:
First, let us consider what is already available.  Here are some tools
that perform similar purposes to what you are proposing:

1.  Transaction monitor (requires custom modifications to PostgreSQL):
http://starccm.sourceforge.net/

2.  Statistics monitor (this is built in to the product):
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/monitoring-stats.html

3.  You can examine the database locks here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/monitoring-locks.html

4.  This is a very nice general purpose administration tool:
http://www.pgadmin.org/

I think something like SQL*Server's sp_who might be useful:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref
/ts_sp_wa-wz_3v8v.asp

I think intrusion detection would be nice.  If (for instance) it appears
that a denial of service attack was going on, it would be good to log
the ip of the offending process.

Some more esoteric things that would be handy:
1.  Index creation suggester that watches column access and notices
frequent filtered table scans that could benefit from an index.  It
would give the SQL to create the suggested index.  A setting could allow
automatic creation of indexes, if usage passes a user given threshold.
2.  Index type suggester that notices that a hashed index would be of
benefit or a btree or an rtree or whatever.
3.  Graphical tools that will depict table or query usage as a bar chart
to show where the majority of the time is going.

Probably others can think up a lot more.

Since I am not sure about the scope of your project, it is hard for me
to know what might be a good suggestion.

Sorry but perhaps it is a database monitorizer that
makes the monitorization on the databases.
It's my english

Edson Carvalho

               http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Database monitor (again)

From
Nic Ferrier
Date:
"Dann Corbit" <DCorbit@connx.com> writes:

> 2.  Statistics monitor (this is built in to the product):
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/monitoring-stats.html

Does anyone think an SNMP interface to these would be useful?

Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk

Re: Database monitor (again)

From
Philip Hallstrom

>> 2.  Statistics monitor (this is built in to the product):
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/monitoring-stats.html
>
> Does anyone think an SNMP interface to these would be useful?

I do.  Would make it easy to hook it up to MRTG, Cacti, or some other
monitoring system.  Would be nice for graphing number of queries, average
query length, queries per second that sort of stuff...

-philip

Re: Database monitor (again)

From
Nic Ferrier
Date:
Philip Hallstrom <postgresql@philip.pjkh.com> writes:

>>> 2.  Statistics monitor (this is built in to the product):
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/monitoring-stats.html
>>
>> Does anyone think an SNMP interface to these would be useful?
>
> I do.  Would make it easy to hook it up to MRTG, Cacti, or some other
> monitoring system.  Would be nice for graphing number of queries,
> average query length, queries per second that sort of stuff...

I don't think it would be difficult to spec a MIB for pg's stats.

I don't have much time for pg hacking... but I would think about doing
this if someone already involved in pg development were to help out.

Nic