Days in month query

From
Mark Fox
Date:
Greetings,

This is more of an SQL question, but since each database server seems
to use it's own syntax for handling dates...

Is there a way to query for the days in a month?  For example,
querying for the days in January of this year?  Listing the days
between two dates would be useful as well.

I'm sure I saw a query like this somewhere, but I can't track it down.
 Just to be clear, there were no tables involved.  Just a SELECT
statement that returned all the days in a given month.

Basically, I have a table of "events" and I'd like to generate a
histogram of how many events occur on the days of a particular month.
What I do now is create a temporary table, fill it with the
appropriate days, and then do a cross join and summation to generate
what I need.  This works, but seems messy to me.

Mark

Re: Days in month query

From
"Dann Corbit"
Date:
The online documentation has a search function.  It would lead you to
this:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/functions-datetime.html

This is more of an SQL question, but since each database server seems
to use it's own syntax for handling dates...

Is there a way to query for the days in a month?  For example,
querying for the days in January of this year?  Listing the days
between two dates would be useful as well.

I'm sure I saw a query like this somewhere, but I can't track it down.
 Just to be clear, there were no tables involved.  Just a SELECT
statement that returned all the days in a given month.

Basically, I have a table of "events" and I'd like to generate a
histogram of how many events occur on the days of a particular month.
What I do now is create a temporary table, fill it with the
appropriate days, and then do a cross join and summation to generate
what I need.  This works, but seems messy to me.

Mark

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

Re: Days in month query

From
Mark Fox
Date:
Greetings,

Thanks Dan, but I searched for, and scoured, that page before asking
my question.  It helped with some of the details, but not on the
general approach.  I'll try to restate my problem in a better way:

What I want is SELECT statement that references no tables but returns
the days in a given month.   I'm now thinking that I might be able to
come up with something using an IN clause and using EXTRACT, but
haven't figured it out yet.

Mark

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:16:19 -0800, Dann Corbit <DCorbit@connx.com> wrote:
> The online documentation has a search function.  It would lead you to
> this:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/functions-datetime.html

Re: Days in month query

From
"Dann Corbit"
Date:
How about create type with create function?

Make an array type to hold the 12 different month day counts.

Give the function year and month as input.

Use this to figure out if it is a leap year:
(year % 4 == 0 && (year % 100 != 0 || year % 400 == 0))

If it is a leap year, then add 1 to days if month is 2.

wrote:
> The online documentation has a search function.  It would lead you to
> this:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/functions-datetime.html

broadcast)---------------------------

Re: Days in month query

From
Arthur Hoogervorst
Date:
Hi,

Something like this?

SELECT date_part('day',
        (date_part('year', '01/10/04' :: date) || '-' ||
         date_part('month', '01/10/04' :: date) || '-01') ::date
                + '1 month'::interval
                - '1 day'::interval) AS days;

Regards,

Arthur

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:45:43 -0700, Mark Fox <mark.fox@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Thanks Dan, but I searched for, and scoured, that page before asking
> my question.  It helped with some of the details, but not on the
> general approach.  I'll try to restate my problem in a better way:
>
> What I want is SELECT statement that references no tables but returns
> the days in a given month.   I'm now thinking that I might be able to
> come up with something using an IN clause and using EXTRACT, but
> haven't figured it out yet.
>
> Mark
>

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:16:19 -0800, Dann Corbit <DCorbit@connx.com> wrote:
> > The online documentation has a search function.  It would lead you to
> > this:
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/functions-datetime.html

Mike Nolan
Date:
> > What I want is SELECT statement that references no tables but returns
> > the days in a given month.   I'm now thinking that I might be able to
> > come up with something using an IN clause and using EXTRACT, but
> > haven't figured it out yet.

I have a 'last_day' function (duplicating what the equivalent Oracle
function does), from that you can extract the number of days in the month.

Here's my 'last_day' function:

create or replace function public.last_day(date)
returns date as
'
DECLARE
  this_day alias for $1;
  declare wk_day date;
BEGIN

  wk_day := date_trunc(''month'', this_day) + interval ''1 month''
      - interval ''1 day'';
  return wk_day;
END
' language 'plpgsql';
--
Mike Nolan

Re: Days in month query

From
Jeffrey Melloy
Date:
Or

select date_part('day', date_trunc('month', '01/10/04') + '1
month'::interval - '1 day'::interval) as days;

or

select date_part('day', to_date('mon', 'Jan') + '1 month'::interval - '1
day'::interval) as days;

Arthur Hoogervorst wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Something like this?
>
>SELECT date_part('day',
>        (date_part('year', '01/10/04' :: date) || '-' ||
>         date_part('month', '01/10/04' :: date) || '-01') ::date
>                + '1 month'::interval
>                - '1 day'::interval) AS days;
>

>Regards,
>

>Arthur
>
>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:45:43 -0700, Mark Fox <mark.fox@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Greetings,
>>
>>Thanks Dan, but I searched for, and scoured, that page before asking
>>my question.  It helped with some of the details, but not on the
>>general approach.  I'll try to restate my problem in a better way:
>>
>>What I want is SELECT statement that references no tables but returns
>>the days in a given month.   I'm now thinking that I might be able to
>>come up with something using an IN clause and using EXTRACT, but
>>haven't figured it out yet.
>>
>>Mark
>>

>>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:16:19 -0800, Dann Corbit <DCorbit@connx.com> wrote:
>>

>>>The online documentation has a search function.  It would lead you to
>>>this:
>>>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/functions-datetime.html

Re: Days in month query

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 16:45:43 -0700,
  Mark Fox <mark.fox@gmail.com> wrote:

> What I want is SELECT statement that references no tables but returns
> the days in a given month.   I'm now thinking that I might be able to
> come up with something using an IN clause and using EXTRACT, but
> haven't figured it out yet.

You can use the output of the suggested functions as input to
generate_series functions (new in 8.0) and add their output to the
start date of a month, to get a set of dates (as opposed to just a first
and last day of month).

Re: Days in month query

From
Mark Fox
Date:
Greetings,

Thanks Dann, Arthur, Mike, Jeffrey, and Bruno.  You've given me a
quick solution and a whole lot to chew on.  I never would have come up
with anything as creative.

Thanks again,

Mark