Catch of ERROR in PLPGSQL

From
Shaun Clements
Date:
Hi All

Does anyone know if Postgres supports Catching of errors, from an EXECUTE, for Procedural Language Postgres.

Thanks in advance

A {FONT-FAMILY: verdana; TEXT-DECORATION: none } A:active {COLOR: #ff0000; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; TEXT-DECORATION: none } A:link {COLOR: #003366; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; TEXT-DECORATION: none } A:visited {COLOR: #003366; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; TEXT-DECORATION: none } A:hover {COLOR: #ff0000; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } .small_text {FONT-SIZE: 9px; COLOR: #003366; FONT-FAMILY: verdana } Kind Regards,
Shaun Clements

Re: Catch of ERROR in PLPGSQL

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Shaun Clements wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Does anyone know if Postgres supports Catching of errors, from an EXECUTE,
> for Procedural Language Postgres.

In version 8, yes. See the manuals (35.7.5. Trapping Errors) for details.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Catch of ERROR in PLPGSQL

From
"Cristian Prieto"
Date:
Try a
Begin
    ... block to watch ...
Exception
    When error_code then
        ... What to do ...
End;

block, it works to me, it is better explained in the manual..

>>  Does anyone know if Postgres supports Catching of errors, from an
>> EXECUTE,
>> for Procedural Language Postgres.
>
> In version 8, yes. See the manuals (35.7.5. Trapping Errors) for details.
>
> --
>   Richard Huxton
>   Archonet Ltd

Re: Catch of ERROR in PLPGSQL

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Shaun Clements wrote:
> Thanks for your response.
> I unfortunately have to use 7.3.
> Will try the Exception wrap. It does appear in the manual.

No it doesn't. Version 7.3 doesn't have any programmatic exception
handling. Perhaps you are reading the wrong version of the manuals?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Catch of ERROR in PLPGSQL

From
Shaun Clements

Begin
Exception
of a basic Function.
is provided for.
What I was thinking then, it to create separate functions for the INSERT and UPDATE
which take parameters, for the table, column, and values.
Which I can then make use of the EXCEPTION.

Kind Regards,
Shaun Clements