Oracle Migration. Don't Care about the Corbomite Maneuver, Spock.

From
"Mohan, Ross"
Date:
Hello Postgres'ers,

Oracle newbie to PG here, curious about best books and online
resources. A *lot* of what I am finding in google is one to four
year old p*ssing contest with MySQL vs. Postgres (don't care)
or "Why doesn't PostGres support five level hypergalactic triple ACID
Phase Inverters on the Debian/Slack Leenucks 3.0(a) kernel" (also
don't care, at least yet ;-))

Just have a small oracle db to move over to PG. And I want it
to go well, be robust, manageable etc. So...that's the kind
of book/community I am looking for.

Any pointers?

Thanks In Advance!

Ross Mohan
Postgres Rookie

Re: Oracle Migration. Don't Care about the Corbomite Maneuver, Spock.

From
"Guy Rouillier"
Date:
Mohan, Ross wrote:
> Hello Postgres'ers,
>
> Oracle newbie to PG here, curious about best books and online
> resources. A *lot* of what I am finding in google is one to four year
> old p*ssing contest with MySQL vs. Postgres (don't care) or "Why
> doesn't PostGres support five level hypergalactic triple ACID Phase
> Inverters on the Debian/Slack Leenucks 3.0(a) kernel" (also don't
> care, at least yet ;-))
>
> Just have a small oracle db to move over to PG. And I want it to go
> well, be robust, manageable etc. So...that's the kind of
> book/community I am looking for.
>
> Any pointers?

Having recently done this myself, check out ora2pg.  Very helpful, and
will do much of the work for you.  There are also section in the
documentation dealing with this particular topic (since so many people
want to do it.)

--
Guy Rouillier

Re: Oracle Migration. Don't Care about the Corbomite Maneuver, Spock.

From
"Dann Corbit"
Date:
Probably there is a more recent link.  This is the one that popped up in
Google:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/interactive/plpgsql-porting.html

Oracle newbie to PG here, curious about best books and online
resources. A *lot* of what I am finding in google is one to four
year old p*ssing contest with MySQL vs. Postgres (don't care)
or "Why doesn't PostGres support five level hypergalactic triple ACID
Phase Inverters on the Debian/Slack Leenucks 3.0(a) kernel" (also
don't care, at least yet ;-))

Just have a small oracle db to move over to PG. And I want it
to go well, be robust, manageable etc. So...that's the kind
of book/community I am looking for.

Any pointers?

Thanks In Advance!

Ross Mohan
Postgres Rookie

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Oracle Migration. Don't Care about the Corbomite Maneuver, Spock.

From
"Dann Corbit"
Date:
Here's a newer link:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/plpgsql-porting.html

Oracle newbie to PG here, curious about best books and online
resources. A *lot* of what I am finding in google is one to four
year old p*ssing contest with MySQL vs. Postgres (don't care)
or "Why doesn't PostGres support five level hypergalactic triple ACID
Phase Inverters on the Debian/Slack Leenucks 3.0(a) kernel" (also
don't care, at least yet ;-))

Just have a small oracle db to move over to PG. And I want it
to go well, be robust, manageable etc. So...that's the kind
of book/community I am looking for.

Any pointers?

Thanks In Advance!

Ross Mohan
Postgres Rookie

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Oracle Migration. Don't Care about the Corbomite Maneuver,

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Mohan, Ross wrote:

>Hello Postgres'ers,
>
>Oracle newbie to PG here, curious about best books and online
>resources. A *lot* of what I am finding in google is one to four
>year old p*ssing contest with MySQL vs. Postgres (don't care)
>or "Why doesn't PostGres support five level hypergalactic triple ACID
>Phase Inverters on the Debian/Slack Leenucks 3.0(a) kernel" (also
>don't care, at least yet ;-))
>
>Just have a small oracle db to move over to PG. And I want it
>to go well, be robust, manageable etc. So...that's the kind
>of book/community I am looking for.
>
>Any pointers?

If you don't currently use store procedures your data set
should be fairly easily to move over. You just have to change
some data types to correctly match.

I had a paper around here somewhere about it I will see if I can
did it up.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>Thanks In Advance!
>

>Ross Mohan
>Postgres Rookie

>TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Oracle Migration. Don't Care about the Corbomite Maneuver, Spock.

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 00:35:25 -0000,
  "Mohan, Ross" <RMohan@arbinet.com> wrote:

> Any pointers?

The online documentation is very good. For generic Postrges questions, that
is probably your best resource. There may be better places to get answers
about questions on converting from Oracle to Postgres.

Re: Oracle Migration. Don't Care about the Corbomite Maneuver, Spock.

From
"Mohan, Ross"
Date:
BW -

Thanks....now that it's downloaded and printing..i see what you mean. And
I agree.

I am utterly STUNNED and happy to see PG uses GA for query optimization;
that, by itself, just makes this whole process that much more fun...

- RM