pg_dump fails with socket_not_open

From
Sarah Ewen
Date:
Hi there folks,

I've just had pg_dump fail on me for the first time ever, and I'm not
sure why.

It generates 24MB of dump before bombing out with:

pg_dump: socket not open
pg_dump: SQL command to dump the contents of table "activity_log"
failed: PQendcopy() failed.
pg_dump: Error message from server: socket not open
pg_dump: The command was: COPY public.activity_log (<bunch of columns>
TO  stdout

Are there any common reasons for seeing this?

I'm fairly sure that the machine is ok hardware wise, and strangely
enough, pg_dumpall works, so it's really curiosity and to set my mind at
rest - any pointers appreciated.

Thanks,

Sarah.

Re: pg_dump fails with socket_not_open

Date:
Sarah Ewen <sarah@thaum.net> writes:
> I've just had pg_dump fail on me for the first time ever, and I'm not
> sure why.

> It generates 24MB of dump before bombing out with:

> pg_dump: socket not open
> pg_dump: SQL command to dump the contents of table "activity_log"
> failed: PQendcopy() failed.
> pg_dump: Error message from server: socket not open
> pg_dump: The command was: COPY public.activity_log (<bunch of columns>
> TO  stdout

Is this repeatable?  What shows up in the postmaster's log when it
happens?  What platform is this on, and what version of Postgres?

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_dump fails with socket_not_open

From
Sarah Ewen
Date:
Hi there Tom, thanks for your reply.

>>pg_dump: socket not open
>>pg_dump: SQL command to dump the contents of table "activity_log"
>>failed: PQendcopy() failed.
>>pg_dump: Error message from server: socket not open
>>pg_dump: The command was: COPY public.activity_log (<bunch of columns>
>>TO  stdout

> Is this repeatable?  What shows up in the postmaster's log when it
> happens?  What platform is this on, and what version of Postgres?

This is postgresql-7.4.6-1.FC2.2 running on RedHat Fedora Core 2.

The logs don't reveal anything, and it happens consistently!

It is a little disconcerting..by the sounds of things this is a fairly
rare thing to see?

Date:
Sarah Ewen <sarah@thaum.net> writes:
>> Is this repeatable?  What shows up in the postmaster's log when it
>> happens?  What platform is this on, and what version of Postgres?

> This is postgresql-7.4.6-1.FC2.2 running on RedHat Fedora Core 2.

> The logs don't reveal anything, and it happens consistently!

The 7.4 RPMs' startup script sends the postmaster stderr to /dev/null
:-(.  To find out what the server sees as the problem, you need to
either hack the startup script to send stderr someplace more useful,
or adjust the configuration to send the postmaster's log messages to
syslog.  I would recommend doing one or the other since it's quite
likely that the server-side view of the problem is different from what
the client sees.

> It is a little disconcerting..by the sounds of things this is a fairly
> rare thing to see?

Yes.  I would like to get to the bottom of it.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_dump fails with socket_not_open

From
Vivek Khera
Date:

SE> Hi there folks,
SE> I've just had pg_dump fail on me for the first time ever, and I'm not
SE> sure why.

SE> It generates 24MB of dump before bombing out with:

SE> pg_dump: socket not open
SE> pg_dump: SQL command to dump the contents of table "activity_log"
SE> failed: PQendcopy() failed.
SE> pg_dump: Error message from server: socket not open
SE> pg_dump: The command was: COPY public.activity_log (<bunch of columns>
SE> TO  stdout

Funny.... I just saw this for the very first time *ever* as well,
overnight.  I was dumping from a PG 8.0.1 server to PG 8.0.1 client.
I, however, saw some ethernet interface timeouts in my server logs,
which is very concerning to me.

So it probably wasn't PG's fault, but I'm not ruling anything out just
yet... i do see a bunch of socket not open errors for some reporting
clients with no corresponding ethernet timeouts, so the log
information is either conflicting or incomplete.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD  +1-301-869-4449 x806