Installation on XP

From
Glenn Sullivan
Date:
Hi,

I am trying to install postgresql-8.0.1 on a machine running XP
Professional.
On the web site I went to the download area, then to V8.0.1 and then
to win32.  I downloaded postgresql.8.0.1.zip .  I unzip that and executed
postgresql-8.0.msi .  When I hit the "Start" button, I get the following:
    This insallation package could not be opened.  verify that the
package ....

I cannot seem to find any way to get past this problem.  Did I just miss
something simple?  Any Help?

Thanks,
Glenn

Re: Installation on XP

From
John DeSoi
Date:
On Mar 15, 2005, at 1:14 PM, Glenn Sullivan wrote:

> I am trying to install postgresql-8.0.1 on a machine running XP
> Professional.
> On the web site I went to the download area, then to V8.0.1 and then
> to win32.  I downloaded postgresql.8.0.1.zip .  I unzip that and
> executed
> postgresql-8.0.msi .  When I hit the "Start" button, I get the
> following:
>    This insallation package could not be opened.  verify that the
> package ....
>
> I cannot seem to find any way to get past this problem.  Did I just
> miss
> something simple?  Any Help?

You need to copy the .msi files out of the .zip archive. It does not
work to try to open the file from within the archive using the zip
viewer feature of the Windows shell.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL