Question about database restrict

From
Yu Jie
Date:
Hi all,
    If I want to restrict the maximum size of one
table to 5MB, restrict the maximum size of database
file to 100MB, how can I do that restriction?
    Is PostgreSQL8.0 support this function? I can't
find it in the manual of PostgreSQL.

Thanks.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Question about database restrict

From
"Qingqing Zhou"

"Yu Jie" <webpurchasing@yahoo.com>  writes:
> Hi all,
>     If I want to restrict the maximum size of one
> table to 5MB, restrict the maximum size of database
> file to 100MB, how can I do that restriction?
>     Is PostgreSQL8.0 support this function? I can't
> find it in the manual of PostgreSQL.

PG does not support this function directly. However, you may use OS provided
functions to do this more or less.

Regards,
Qingqing

> Thanks.

Re: Question about database restrict

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 12:57:52 +0800,
  Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq@cs.toronto.edu> wrote:

> "Yu Jie" <webpurchasing@yahoo.com>  writes:
> > Hi all,
> >     If I want to restrict the maximum size of one
> > table to 5MB, restrict the maximum size of database
> > file to 100MB, how can I do that restriction?
> >     Is PostgreSQL8.0 support this function? I can't
> > find it in the manual of PostgreSQL.
>
> PG does not support this function directly. However, you may use OS provided
> functions to do this more or less.

However, this isn't really a good idea as if the database runs out of disk
space cleanup might not be fun.

Perhaps if you explain more about what you are doing we might have some
other possible solutions for you?