Field count in a RECORD variable - plpgsql

From
"Mike Preston"
Date:
I am building a generic crosstab function in plpgsql, where I can pass in a SQL statement and return back the data pivoted with the values of one column serving as headers of the return columns.  If I use a RECORD variable to scroll through the data, is there a way for me to tell the number of fields returned by the SQL statement parameter?

thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Mike

Re: Field count in a RECORD variable - plpgsql

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Mike Preston wrote:
> I am building a generic crosstab function in plpgsql, where I can pass
> in a SQL statement and return back the data pivoted with the values of
> one column serving as headers of the return columns.  If I use a RECORD
> variable to scroll through the data, is there a way for me to tell the
> number of fields returned by the SQL statement parameter?

No. You'll want to use pltcl or plperl or some similar more-dynamic
language.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd