Simple client messages from within pgPL/SQL

From
"Andre Schnoor"
Date:
I'm desparately seeking for a simple way to send messages to the client
during the execution of large stored procedures.

  RAISE INFO 'Now Processing %', thisCustomer;

Doesn't do it, because the client console is cluttered with verbose context
information (e.g. backtrace). It's impossible to follow these "messages".

I'm afraid that lowering the verbosity level in the server config will also
affect error messages (where verbosity is helpful). Is there another way to
output strings to the "console"?

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Andre

Re: Simple client messages from within pgPL/SQL

From
"Andre Schnoor"
Date:
> I'm desparately seeking for a simple way to send messages to the client
> during the execution of large stored procedures.
>
>   RAISE INFO 'Now Processing %', thisCustomer;
>
> Doesn't do it, because the client console is cluttered with verbose
context
> information (e.g. backtrace). It's impossible to follow these "messages".
>
> I'm afraid that lowering the verbosity level in the server config will
also
> affect error messages (where verbosity is helpful). Is there another way
> output strings to the "console"?

Example:

INFO:  Total of 25130 listed songs found, 13046 of them did not perform
today
CONTEXT:  SQL statement "SELECT  sp_song_performance_reset( $1 )"
PL/pgSQL function "sp_song_performance_batch" line 41 at select into
variables
SQL statement "SELECT  sp_song_performance_batch( $1 )"
PL/pgSQL function "sp_daily" line 39 at select into variables
SQL statement "SELECT  sp_daily()"
PL/pgSQL function "sp_test_charts" line 14 at select into variables

I only want to have the first line appear and nothing else.
How do I suppress the CONTEXT clutter?

Andre

Re: Simple client messages from within pgPL/SQL

From
Terry Lee Tucker
Date:
This may be too simplistic an answer, but can't you just have the function
return a text string and return the message you want to deliver back to the
client?

On Wednesday 23 February 2005 05:00 am, Andre Schnoor saith:

Date:
> This may be too simplistic an answer, but can't you just have the function
> return a text string and return the message you want to deliver back to
the
> client?

Thanks for your reply. However, this won't work because the INFO messages
are not the result or the function. They are a notification about the
procedure's progress (which is running for hours in the worst case). And
there are many different of them, indicating what's going on.

Andre