Postgresql and Athlon64 ?

From
"NTPT"
Date:
Will I have some advantages, better performance etc using postgres 7.4 or postgres 8.x on Athlon64 system with 64 bit Linux distro ?Are there asome benchmark available or someone  personal experience ?

Or should I stay in 32 bit platform  for a while ?

Thanx for help

Re: Postgresql and Athlon64 ?

From
"P.J. \"Josh\" Rovero"
Date:
It runs fine, and is quite "peppy" an Fedora Core 2 for AMD 64.
I have not run into any problems.

--
P. J. "Josh" Rovero                                 Sonalysts, Inc.
Email: rovero@sonalysts.com    www.sonalysts.com    215 Parkway North

Re: Postgresql and Athlon64 ?

From
Abdul-Wahid Paterson
Date:
Hi,

I have been running a 2Gb database for about 3 months now on my AMD64
bit and have been very happy with the peformance and stability. I am
running it under Gentoo.

I don't have any particular benchmarks and only my own testing of our
company scripts. I have been very impressed with the performance.

Regards,

Abdul-Wahid

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:44:14 +0100, NTPT <ntpt@centrum.cz> wrote:

> Will I have some advantages, better performance etc using postgres 7.4 or
> postgres 8.x on Athlon64 system with 64 bit Linux distro ?Are there asome
> benchmark available or someone  personal experience ?
>

> Or should I stay in 32 bit platform  for a while ?
>
> Thanx for help

Re: Postgresql and Athlon64 ?

From
"NTPT"
So postgresql can  have benfit from 64 bit architecture ?

> It runs fine, and is quite "peppy" an Fedora Core 2 for AMD 64.
> I have not run into any problems.
>
> NTPT wrote:
>> Will I have some advantages, better performance etc using postgres 7.4
>> or postgres 8.x on Athlon64 system with 64 bit Linux distro ?Are there
>> asome benchmark available or someone  personal experience ?
>>

>> Or should I stay in 32 bit platform  for a while ?
>
> --
> P. J. "Josh" Rovero                                 Sonalysts, Inc.
> Email: rovero@sonalysts.com    www.sonalysts.com    215 Parkway North
> Work: (860)326-3671 or 442-4355                     Waterford CT 06385

Re: Postgresql and Athlon64 ?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
NTPT wrote:
> So postgresql can  have benfit from 64 bit architecture ?

Yes quite.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Command Prompt, Inc., your source for PostgreSQL replication,
professional support, programming, managed services, shared

Attachment

Re: Postgresql and Athlon64 ?

From
"Guy Rouillier"
NTPT wrote:
> Will I have some advantages, better performance etc using postgres
> 7.4 or postgres 8.x on Athlon64 system with 64 bit Linux distro ?Are
> there asome benchmark available or someone  personal experience ?
>

> Or should I stay in 32 bit platform  for a while ?

PG 8 works fine on 64-bit Linux running on AMD64.  So I wouldn't stay on
a 32-bit platform for that reason.  You are aware, of course, that
Opteron is better equipped than Athlon64 for memory-intensive tasks:
dual channel memory, (usually) more on-chip cache, etc.  Don't have any
hard benchmark numbers, but AMD claims about a 15% general performance
improvement switching from 32-bit to 64-bit.

--
Guy Rouillier

Re: Postgresql and Athlon64 ?

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, ntpt@centrum.cz ("NTPT") transmitted:
> Will I have some advantages, better performance etc using postgres
> 7.4 or postgres 8.x on Athlon64 system with 64 bit Linux distro ?Are
> there asome benchmark available or someone  personal experience ?

> Or should I stay in 32 bit platform  for a while ?

The ability to have Lots of Memory is a BIG help; the Intel Xeon
platform "maxxes out" at 8GB, and in practice at more like 4GB,
whereas AMD64 supports _way_ more than that along with a much faster
memory bus than you get with Xeon.

We're finding that Opteron is way faster than similarly numbered Xeon
systems.

The challenge you may find is in what high end disk controllers are
supported; many of them only offer 32 bit DMA...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/advocacy.html

Re: Postgresql and Athlon64 ?

From
William Yu
Date:
Guy Rouillier wrote:
> NTPT wrote:
>
>>Will I have some advantages, better performance etc using postgres
>>7.4 or postgres 8.x on Athlon64 system with 64 bit Linux distro ?Are
>>there asome benchmark available or someone  personal experience ?
>>

>>Or should I stay in 32 bit platform  for a while ?
>

> PG 8 works fine on 64-bit Linux running on AMD64.  So I wouldn't stay on
> a 32-bit platform for that reason.  You are aware, of course, that
> Opteron is better equipped than Athlon64 for memory-intensive tasks:
> dual channel memory, (usually) more on-chip cache, etc.  Don't have any
> hard benchmark numbers, but AMD claims about a 15% general performance
> improvement switching from 32-bit to 64-bit.

Actually, A64s come in multiple flavors -- single channel, dual channel,
512KB L2, 1MB L2. The fastest A64 FXs are actually faster than their
corresponding Opteron cousins because not only do they have the same 2x
memory channel and 1MB cache -- but their unbuffered memory has lower
latency than registered memory that Opterons must use.

Of course, I wouldn't run a server without registered ECC memory so the
point is moot anyways. Plus you are limited to much less memory using
unbuffered memory.