How to get back the current count of a auto incrementing number.

From
sid tow
Date:
hi

     How to get the current value of a auto
incrementing number generated using CREATE SEQUENCE
seqname START 1

Is there any way and if yes what is it. Can we run a
select query and may be a inbuilt function which will
return the current value of that number?

Regards.

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Re: How to get back the current count of a auto

From
Csaba Nagy
Date:
Sid,

Postgres has an excellent documentation. You can find about what you
asked here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/functions-sequence.html
It always pays off to read the docs first.

Cheers,
Csaba.

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 12:36, sid tow wrote:
> hi
>
>      How to get the current value of a auto
> incrementing number generated using CREATE SEQUENCE
> seqname START 1
>
> Is there any way and if yes what is it. Can we run a
> select query and may be a inbuilt function which will
> return the current value of that number?
>
> Regards.

> http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Re: How to get back the current count of a auto incrementing number.

From
Shridhar Daithankar
Date:
On Friday 28 Jan 2005 5:06 pm, sid tow wrote:
> hi
>
>      How to get the current value of a auto
> incrementing number generated using CREATE SEQUENCE
> seqname START 1
>
> Is there any way and if yes what is it. Can we run a
> select query and may be a inbuilt function which will
> return the current value of that number?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/functions-sequence.html

HTH

 Shridhar

Re: How to get back the current count of a auto incrementing number.

From
Sean Davis
Date:
On Jan 28, 2005, at 6:36 AM, sid tow wrote:

> hi
>
>      How to get the current value of a auto
> incrementing number generated using CREATE SEQUENCE
> seqname START 1
>
> Is there any way and if yes what is it. Can we run a
> select query and may be a inbuilt function which will
> return the current value of that number?

Look at:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/functions-sequence.html

Sean

    This question pops about once a day...
    can't the list server grep for "auto increment" and send a link to the
docs itself ;)