question on new psql datatype

From
Yu Pan
Date:
I am developing a new "image" datatype in postgres which contains a binary
field for storing image data and some other fields for additional information
about the image, like size, resolution, etc. I was hoping that the clients can
saving their time by directly retrieving these information from the fields
without retrieving the whole image, that is, the time for reading these fields
should be constant with respect to the image size. However, the result shows
that the time for direct retrieving of information from the fields of an image
datatype is still increasing with the size of the image. My explanation is
that in order to read the fields of a image datatype, the whole struct would
still need to be loaded into memory, which includes the binary field
containing the actual image data. Can anyone tell me is this true for a user-
defined datatype (using C struct)? Thanks a lot.

Yu

Re: question on new psql datatype

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 04:34:44PM -0700, Yu Pan wrote:
> I am developing a new "image" datatype in postgres which contains a binary
> field for storing image data and some other fields for additional information
> about the image, like size, resolution, etc. I was hoping that the clients can
> saving their time by directly retrieving these information from the fields
> without retrieving the whole image, that is, the time for reading these fields
> should be constant with respect to the image size. However, the result shows
> that the time for direct retrieving of information from the fields of an image
> datatype is still increasing with the size of the image. My explanation is
> that in order to read the fields of a image datatype, the whole struct would
> still need to be loaded into memory, which includes the binary field
> containing the actual image data. Can anyone tell me is this true for a user-
> defined datatype (using C struct)? Thanks a lot.

I'd think that if the datatype was stored compressed, then yes, the
system needs to load the whole field before being able to access any
member.  You could try setting the storage type to EXTERNAL.

See http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/storage-toast.html

Also read the code related to substring in TEXT and BYTEA in
non-compressed mode.

HTH,

"At least to kernel hackers, who really are human, despite occasional
rumors to the contrary" (LWN.net)

Re: question on new psql datatype

From
Michelle Konzack
Date:
Hello Yu Pu,

Am 2005-01-23 16:34:44, schrieb Yu Pan:
> I am developing a new "image" datatype in postgres which contains a binary
> field for storing image data and some other fields for additional information
> about the image, like size, resolution, etc. I was hoping that the clients can
> saving their time by directly retrieving these information from the fields
> without retrieving the whole image, that is, the time for reading these fields
> should be constant with respect to the image size. However, the result shows

Realy cool

> that the time for direct retrieving of information from the fields of an image
> datatype is still increasing with the size of the image. My explanation is
> that in order to read the fields of a image datatype, the whole struct would
> still need to be loaded into memory, which includes the binary field
> containing the actual image data. Can anyone tell me is this true for a user-
> defined datatype (using C struct)? Thanks a lot.

No, thats not right.

An Image is a Header (image type, width, height, rawsize, colortable)
plus the Data

In most cases the Header is between 20 and 300 Bytes
But which data do you need exactly ?

I have done this in Winword 6.0 under WfW 3.11 for 10 years :-)
You need only the first Bytes not the whole Image.

> Yu

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi