Postgresql website issues.

From
Mike Cox
Date:
Am I the only one who has trouble reading the website?  Some of the
fonts are way too small, especially the " Mirrors | Donate | Contact"
set.  The other problem is that it is too light.  My eyes strain to
read the text as the background is white, and the text is also a light
color.

Also, on the news area, when one clicks on "PostgresSQL performs well
on 1TB database", the copyright notice along with the privacy policy
are on top of the side menu, covering it.  I used Mozilla 1.7 to view
the site.

As a former professional graphics designer, the new postgresql site is
also not balanced in terms of color.  There needs to be four differnt
colors in the site, not two (blue, and various shades of grey). This
is similar to how people find things that conform to the golden ratio
as attractive.

If these issues are fixed, than this new design will be much better
than the previous website.

Re: Postgresql website issues.

From
Robby Russell
Date:
On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 13:19 -0800, Mike Cox wrote:
> Am I the only one who has trouble reading the website?  Some of the
> fonts are way too small, especially the " Mirrors | Donate | Contact"
> set.  The other problem is that it is too light.  My eyes strain to
> read the text as the background is white, and the text is also a light
> color.

agreed. Font sizes are a little 'too' small in some areas. The font size
for the body is set to "font-size: 69%;"

maybe 72% would be a little less of a strain. ;-)

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON  | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR  | robby@planetargon.com
* 503.351.4730  | blog.planetargon.com
* PHP/PostgreSQL Hosting & Development
*    --- Now supporting PHP5 ---

Re: Postgresql website issues.

From
Clodoaldo Pinto
Date:
 --- Mike Cox <mikecoxlinux@yahoo.com> escreveu:
> Am I the only one who has trouble reading the website?  Some of the
> fonts are way too small, especially the " Mirrors | Donate | Contact"
> set.

Here with Linux/FireFox and a 19" monitor at 1280x960 the fonts sizes are
adequate.

> The other problem is that it is too light.  My eyes strain to
> read the text as the background is white, and the text is also a light
> color.

I think the light blue is not adequate. It is kind of shiny and hard to focus.
And I prefer darker backgrounds.

> Also, on the news area, when one clicks on "PostgresSQL performs well
> on 1TB database", the copyright notice along with the privacy policy
> are on top of the side menu, covering it.  I used Mozilla 1.7 to view
> the site.

Is is Ok here. Probably already fixed.

> As a former professional graphics designer, the new postgresql site is
> also not balanced in terms of color.

I have the feeling (not the knowledge) of something wrong with the colors. I
blame the light blue.

Regards, Clodoaldo Pinto

Yahoo! Acesso Grátis - Instale o discador do Yahoo! agora. http://br.acesso.yahoo.com/ - Internet rápida e grátis

Re: Postgresql website issues.

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Robby Russell wrote:
> agreed. Font sizes are a little 'too' small in some areas. The font
> size for the body is set to "font-size: 69%;"
>
> maybe 72% would be a little less of a strain. ;-)

It might be too obvious, but in my mind the only correct setting for the
body on any web site is "font-size: 100%".

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Postgresql website issues.

From
Mike Nolan
Date:
> It might be too obvious, but in my mind the only correct setting for the
> body on any web site is "font-size: 100%".

I tend to agree.  Forcing a smaller font size is almost always an indication
that you're trying to cram too much stuff on the page.

The choice of font colors is also questionable IMHO.  When combined with the
reduced type size some things are so faint they're unreadable.
--
Mike Nolan

Re: Postgresql website issues.

From
Luis Neves
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Robby Russell wrote:
>
>>agreed. Font sizes are a little 'too' small in some areas. The font
>>size for the body is set to "font-size: 69%;"
>>
>>maybe 72% would be a little less of a strain. ;-)
>

> It might be too obvious, but in my mind the only correct setting for the
> body on any web site is "font-size: 100%".

Not quite, see here for more information:
http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/typography/index.html

Regards,
Luis Neves

Re: Postgresql website issues.

From
Pierre-Frédéric Caillaud
Date:
> Not quite, see here for more information:
> http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/typography/index.html

    Unfortunately, on my Opera 7 for Linux, this page is illegibly small
(something like font-size: 7px) ; so I did not read it.
    I always use sizes in pixels. It works in IE6, Mozilla, and Opera.

Re: Postgresql website issues.

From
Tino Wildenhain
Date:
Am Montag, den 03.01.2005, 21:04 +0000 schrieb Luis Neves:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Robby Russell wrote:
> >
> >>agreed. Font sizes are a little 'too' small in some areas. The font
> >>size for the body is set to "font-size: 69%;"
> >>
> >>maybe 72% would be a little less of a strain. ;-)
> >

> > It might be too obvious, but in my mind the only correct setting for the
> > body on any web site is "font-size: 100%".
>
> Not quite, see here for more information:
> http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/typography/index.html
>
> Regards,
> Luis Neves

I wonder where and how all that could be coordinated?
Is there a list for psql web issues? Is there a CVS?
Omar apparently did not answer yet to my direct request.

Regards
Tino

Re: Postgresql website issues.

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 09:21:46PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Robby Russell wrote:
> > agreed. Font sizes are a little 'too' small in some areas. The font
> > size for the body is set to "font-size: 69%;"
> >
> > maybe 72% would be a little less of a strain. ;-)
>
> It might be too obvious, but in my mind the only correct setting for the
> body on any web site is "font-size: 100%".

I tend to agree. I have my font size set to a sane default yet the text
at the top where it says "Contact" it compresses to 4 pixels high. The
r's and l's have completely vanished and it looks like the n has become
a dash with a hook. The rest of the screen is readable.

If I hit the "Text: Large" link it all becomes extremely readable.

I'm using resolution of 1024x768 on a 15" LCD screen, no antialiasing.
Maybe it's time to more fully investigate the minimum text size option
in this browser.