Cannot drop template1

From
"Raymond O'Donnell"
Date:
Greetings all,

I'm trying to drop template1 so that I can re-create it from
template0 - I made the mistake of loading a whole pile of crud into
template1 (luckily it's a test installation on my WinXP Pro laptop).

However, when using -

  dropdb -U postgres -W template1

at the command line, all I get back is "dropdb: database removal
failed: ERROR:  cannot drop the currently open database". This is
even after a cold start; the DBMS service has only just been started
and is doing no other work whatsoever - there are no other
connections to template1 or indeed any other database.

I've tried connecting to a different database and dropping template1
from there, only to be told that I cannot drop a template database.
I've also tried connecting to template0, but was told that template0
is not accepting connections.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

--Ray.

Raymond O'Donnell     http://www.galwaycathedral.org/recitals
rod@iol.ie                          Galway Cathedral Recitals

Re: Cannot drop template1

Date:
"Raymond O'Donnell" <rod@iol.ie> writes:
>   dropdb -U postgres -W template1
> at the command line, all I get back is "dropdb: database removal
> failed: ERROR:  cannot drop the currently open database".

That's because the dropdb command itself connects to template1.

See the article on techdocs.postgresql.org about rebuilding template1
to find out about all the gotchas and workarounds needed to do this.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Cannot drop template1

From
"Raymond O'Donnell"
Date:
On 14 Dec 2004 at 9:27, Tom Lane wrote:

> See the article on techdocs.postgresql.org about rebuilding template1
> to find out about all the gotchas and workarounds needed to do this.

Found it - thanks!