Reusable database design

From
Joachim Zobel
Date:
Hi.

I can't be the first to think about this. There is a million online
shops out there, which all more or less have the same database design.
Has anybody thought about creating generic reusable/customizable designs
for such cases?

Thx,
Joachim

--
"... ein Geschlecht erfinderischer Zwerge, die fuer alles gemietet werden
koennen."                            - Bertolt Brecht - Leben des Galilei

Re: Reusable database design

From
Ron St-Pierre
Date:
Joachim Zobel wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I can't be the first to think about this. There is a million online
>shops out there, which all more or less have the same database design.
>Has anybody thought about creating generic reusable/customizable designs
>for such cases?
>
>Thx,
>Joachim

Check out your favourite bookstore for resources. Amazon also lists a
few books:
* Data Model Patterns: Conventions of Thought by David C. Hay:
       "Analyzes data structures common to many types of businesses in
areas such as accounting, material
        requirements planning, process manufacturing, contracts,
laboratories, and documents, for analysts
        who have learned the basics of data modeling (or
entity/relationship modeling) but who need more
        insight to prepare a model of a real business. Includes b&w
diagrams, and a set of ready-to-use
        models for typical applications in many industries. Annotation
copyright Book News, Inc. Portland, Or." from Amazon.com
* The Data Model Resource Book, Vol. 1: A Library of Universal Data
Models for All Enterprises by Len Silverston
* The Data Model Resource Book, Vol. 2: A Library of Data Models for
Specific Industries by Len Silverston
* Information Modeling and Relational Databases: From Conceptual
Analysis to Logical Design by Terry Halpin
* The Data Modeling Handbook : A Best-Practice Approach to Building
Quality Data Models by Michael C. Reingruber
* Data Modeler's Workbench: Tools and Techniques for Analysis and Design
by Steve Hoberman
* Analysis Patterns : Reusable Object Models (Addison-Wesley Object
Technology: Addison-Wesley Object Technology Series) by Martin Fowler

I'm sure that there are even more available.
Ron

Re: Reusable database design

From
"Gevik Babakhani"
Date:
Yes actualy.. This is also going to be one of the items on our future FAQ
database.

I can't be the first to think about this. There is a million online shops
out there, which all more or less have the same database design.
Has anybody thought about creating generic reusable/customizable designs for
such cases?

Thx,
Joachim

--
"... ein Geschlecht erfinderischer Zwerge, die fuer alles gemietet werden
koennen."                            - Bertolt Brecht - Leben des Galilei

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster