Pl/Perl w/ Postgres 8.0 on Windows

From
Eric E
Date:
Hi all,
    I am throughly enjoying using Postgres 8.0 on Windows, so I can
develop my Windows client against Postgres.
I would like to write some pl/perl functions, and I'm a little stumped.
Now comes the sad confession - I installed PG from the Windows installer
rather than building it.  Can I still build pl/perl against it?  Better
yet, is there a pl/perl binary for Windows?

Many thanks,

Eric

Re: Pl/Perl w/ Postgres 8.0 on Windows

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> Hi all,
>     I am throughly enjoying using Postgres 8.0 on Windows, so
> I can develop my Windows client against Postgres.
> I would like to write some pl/perl functions, and I'm a
> little stumped.
> Now comes the sad confession - I installed PG from the
> Windows installer rather than building it.  Can I still build
> pl/perl against it?  Better yet, is there a pl/perl binary
> for Windows?

Well, aren't you in luck today :-) The MSI install *always* installs the
plperl DLL. IF you have installed ActiveState perl, it even gives you
the option to enable it in template1 durnig the install.

So you need to:
1) Install ActiveState Perl 5.8, if you haven't already (that's what
it's compiled against)
2) Run "createlang" for PL/Perl, similar as you'd do on Unix.

(2) can be replaced with uninstall/reinstall of the MSI if you haven't
started using your database yet. The option to enable the two plperl
variants should be ungrayed if it finds activeState Perl 5.8 in the
system path.

//Magnus

Re: Pl/Perl w/ Postgres 8.0 on Windows

From
Eric E
Date:
Thanks to both of you gentlemen.  I actually had to restart Postgres
after installing ActiveState Perl before I could successfully run
createlang and add the language.  Seems to be working now, though.

Cheers,

Eric