md5 checksum mismatch

From
Bill Kurland
Date:
I've downloaded several versions of postgresql from several mirrors. On
none of them did the md5 checksums from
http://www.gtsm.com/postgres_sigs.html match the md5 checksum from the
postgresql-*.tar.gz source file I downloaded.

I can't imagine that all these file are corrupted, yet I don't see what I
could be doing wrong.

Has anyone actually done this process successfully? Could you let me know
which version and which mirror?

Bill Kurland
Shakespeare & Co.

--
Leibniz never married; he had considered it at the age of fifty; but the
person he had in mind asked for time to reflect. This gave Leibniz time to

Re: md5 checksum mismatch

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Bill Kurland wrote:
> I've downloaded several versions of postgresql from several mirrors. On
> none of them did the md5 checksums from
> http://www.gtsm.com/postgres_sigs.html match the md5 checksum from the
> postgresql-*.tar.gz source file I downloaded.
>
> I can't imagine that all these file are corrupted, yet I don't see what
> I could be doing wrong.

Just tested one:

ftp://ftp2.uk.postgresql.org/sites/ftp.postgresql.org/src/7.4.6/postgresql-7.4.6.tar.bz2
Does indeed have MD5 checksum of f0ea2b372a7bdaf2613e92176ebf5e0f

This matches what's in the .md5 file and is listed on Greg's page. Note
that you can't use md5sum --check <file>.md5 but manually comparing the
sums all seems OK.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: md5 checksum mismatch

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Bill Kurland wrote:
> I've downloaded several versions of postgresql from several mirrors. On
> none of them did the md5 checksums from
> http://www.gtsm.com/postgres_sigs.html match the md5 checksum from the
> postgresql-*.tar.gz source file I downloaded.

As a follow-up to my last message, "md5sum --check" does work, you just
need to use one that was built in the last couple of years.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd