Nesting Stored Procedure Calls

From
Larry White
Date:
Is it possible for one stored procedure to call another?  I would like
certain procs to call a different proc to update an audit trail
whenever they're executed.

I thought about using triggers but want the trail to include info
that's not in the updated table -  specifically the application user
ID of the responsible party.

Re: Nesting Stored Procedure Calls

From
Ben
Date:
Yes, it's no different than any other select statement. Just keep in
mind that it's all one big happy transaction - if the inner stored proc
aborts, so does the outer one. (Actually, that may have changed in
version 8, but I don't know.)

On Nov 24, 2004, at 8:17 AM, Larry White wrote:

> ne stored procedure to call another?  I would like
> certain procs to call a different proc to update an audit trail
> whenever they're exec

Re: Nesting Stored Procedure Calls

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Ben wrote:

> Yes, it's no different than any other select statement. Just keep in
> mind that it's all one big happy transaction - if the inner stored
> proc aborts, so does the outer one. (Actually, that may have changed
> in version 8, but I don't know.)

In 8 you could use an exception in plPgsql I think.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> On Nov 24, 2004, at 8:17 AM, Larry White wrote:
>
>> ne stored procedure to call another?  I would like
>> certain procs to call a different proc to update an audit trail
>> whenever they're exec

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Nesting Stored Procedure Calls

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 11:17:26AM -0500, Larry White wrote:

> Is it possible for one stored procedure to call another?  I would like
> certain procs to call a different proc to update an audit trail
> whenever they're executed.

What happened when you tried it?  If you're having trouble then it
would be helpful to see what you're doing, what you'd like to happen,
and what actually does happen.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: Nesting Stored Procedure Calls

From
Tino Wildenhain
Date:
Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 24.11.2004, 11:17 -0500 schrieb Larry White:
> Is it possible for one stored procedure to call another?

yes.

More specifically these are stored functions rather then
stored procedures in the M$-like way.

Regards
Tino