Gborg down?

From
Jerry LeVan
Date:
I don't seem to be able to connect to gborg.postgresql.org this
evening...

Jerry

Re: Gborg down?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Jerry LeVan wrote:

> I don't seem to be able to connect to gborg.postgresql.org this
> evening...

Already working on it ... I found an undocumented 'feature' in FreeBSD
today while doing some cleanups ... we ordered a terminal server to allow
us to do remote admin on the servers, but, unfortunately, we're still
waiting for it to arrive, so we're waiting for a tech to reset the server

I've posted details to the FreeBSD -stable and -current mailing list, but
the simple summary is that 'ifconfig <dev> -alias' with no ip specific'd
literally erases all IPs on that device, leaving the server running
'un-networked' ... :(

----

Re: Gborg down?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Jerry LeVan wrote:

> I don't seem to be able to connect to gborg.postgresql.org this
> evening...

Hello,

I can second this. Gborg is down.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Jerry

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Gborg down?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> I've posted details to the FreeBSD -stable and -current mailing list,
> but the simple summary is that 'ifconfig <dev> -alias' with no ip
> specific'd literally erases all IPs on that device, leaving the server
> running 'un-networked' ... :(

Good lord.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Gborg down?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> I've posted details to the FreeBSD -stable and -current mailing list, but
>> the simple summary is that 'ifconfig <dev> -alias' with no ip specific'd
>> literally erases all IPs on that device, leaving the server running
>> 'un-networked' ... :(
>>
> Good lord.

Ya well, its not something I'm particularly proud about ...

Stupid question for someone running Linux ... is this standard behaviour
that I've been lucky never to hit before, or is this something that Linux
deals with slightly more intelligently?

----

Re: Gborg down?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Ya well, its not something I'm particularly proud about ...
>
> Stupid question for someone running Linux ... is this standard
> behaviour that I've been lucky never to hit before, or is this
> something that Linux deals with slightly more intelligently?

Well in linux you would do something like this:

ifconfig <dev>

If you want an alias it is:

ifconfig <dev>:<alias>

If you don't specify a parameter such as up it will just display the
current config.
If there is no current config it just display the default.

So in short, no Linux will not do what you ran into. At least not in the
same manner.

On any init.d based Linux system (gentoo, redhat, suse) the only thing I
have found
really annoying is that it doesn't confirm for the following:

/etc/init.d/network stop

I have more than once, really late at night typed that command when
meaning to be

/etc/init.d/sendmail stop

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664

Re: Gborg down?

From
Gaetano Mendola
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
 > On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
 >

 >>> I've posted details to the FreeBSD -stable and -current mailing list,
 >>> but the simple summary is that 'ifconfig <dev> -alias' with no ip
 >>> specific'd literally erases all IPs on that device, leaving the
 >>> server running 'un-networked' ... :(
 >>>
 >> Good lord.
 >

 > Ya well, its not something I'm particularly proud about ...
 >
 > Stupid question for someone running Linux ... is this standard behaviour
 > that I've been lucky never to hit before, or is this something that
 > Linux deals with slightly more intelligently?

I used to have a script on my remote server that I was running in BG before
to touch the network, that script was bringing up the network if was down
for more then 2 minutes. My server is now hosted in my house and I do not
need it anymore, I changed it with the no-ip script :-)

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

Re: Gborg down?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>> Good lord.
>>

>> Ya well, its not something I'm particularly proud about ...
>>
>> Stupid question for someone running Linux ... is this standard behaviour
>> that I've been lucky never to hit before, or is this something that
>> Linux deals with slightly more intelligently?
>
> I used to have a script on my remote server that I was running in BG before
> to touch the network, that script was bringing up the network if was down
> for more then 2 minutes. My server is now hosted in my house and I do not
> need it anymore, I changed it with the no-ip script :-)

Until now, I didn't think I'd need such a think :(  In almost 12 years of
networking, that is one thing that I've never done, unconfigured the main
IP ;(

Then again, I think I've been lucky so far in that I've never done an 'rm
-rf /' either :)

----

Re: Gborg down?

From
Alvaro Herrera Munoz
Date:
On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 11:09:07AM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Gaetano Mendola wrote:
>
> >I used to have a script on my remote server that I was running in BG before
> >to touch the network, that script was bringing up the network if was down
> >for more then 2 minutes. My server is now hosted in my house and I do not
> >need it anymore, I changed it with the no-ip script :-)
>
> Until now, I didn't think I'd need such a think :(  In almost 12 years of
> networking, that is one thing that I've never done, unconfigured the main
> IP ;(

Yeah, I think part of the problem was that it was an accident and not
something planned.  I have had to change the main IP address of a remote
server a couple of times, so I used a script like Gaetano's (though I
measured time in terms of seconds, usually less than ten, not minutes).
But you weren't given the chance :-)

> Then again, I think I've been lucky so far in that I've never done an 'rm
> -rf /' either :)

Very lucky indeed.  I did that (or equivalents like rm -fr /lib) at least
two times.

Unrelated: I just noticed that you added the mboxen to lists archives.
Many many thanks for that!

"La realidad se compone de muchos sueños, todos ellos diferentes,
pero en cierto aspecto, parecidos..." (Yo, hablando de sueños eróticos)