reusing column labels in select

From
rvanroode@gmail.com (ryan)
Date:
Hello,

Is there any way to reuse a column label in a select list like this:

   SELECT 1 + 1 AS a, a + 1 AS b;

I vaguely remember being able to do something like this in oracle. Any
ideas? Thanks!

~RvR

Re: reusing column labels in select

From
Kevin Barnard
Date:
There might be a better way then this but this works

SELECT a, a+1 as b from (SELECT 1+1 as a) as ab;

On 16 Oct 2004 11:18:48 -0700, ryan <rvanroode@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there any way to reuse a column label in a select list like this:
>
>    SELECT 1 + 1 AS a, a + 1 AS b;
>
> I vaguely remember being able to do something like this in oracle. Any
> ideas? Thanks!
>
> ~RvR

Re: reusing column labels in select

From
Steven Klassen
Date:
* ryan <rvanroode@gmail.com> [2004-10-16 11:18:48 -0700]:

> Is there any way to reuse a column label in a select list like this:
>
>    SELECT 1 + 1 AS a, a + 1 AS b;
>
> I vaguely remember being able to do something like this in oracle. Any
> ideas? Thanks!

You could nest them...

xinu=> select (1 + 1) + 1 as answer;
 answer
--------
      3
(1 row)

--
Steven Klassen - Lead Programmer
PostgreSQL Replication & Support Services, (503) 667-4564