How Do I Change The 'Owner' of a Database?

From
pw
Date:
Hello,

I used a user to create a database but postgreSQL insists that the
'postgres' user is the owner. It's a bit annoying to have to change
users to link sequences to counter values.

How can I cahnge the owner of the database to the proper user?

Peter

Re: How Do I Change The 'Owner' of a Database?

From
Steven Klassen
Date:
* pw <p.willis@telus.net> [2004-10-12 13:48:30 -0700]:

> How can I cahnge the owner of the database to the proper user?

UPDATE pg_database SET datdba = (SELECT usesysid FROM pg_user WHERE
usename = 'user_name') WHERE datname = 'database_name;

There might be something you can do with 'alter database' as well.

--
Steven Klassen - Lead Programmer
PostgreSQL Replication & Support Services, (503) 667-4564

Re: How Do I Change The 'Owner' of a Database?

From
pw
Date:
Thanks for your help,

I was looking at ALTER DATABASE  but
the docs don't disclose any attributes
so *what the heck does one ALTER?*

I'll try the query that you offered.

Peter

Date:
* pw <p.willis@telus.net> [2004-10-12 14:11:51 -0700]:

> I was looking at ALTER DATABASE but the docs don't disclose any
> attributes so *what the heck does one ALTER?*

The actual settings are kind of nestled in the documentation a layer
or two deep. Here are the pertinent URLs and neither of them have
anything to do with ownership, FWIW. ;)

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/sql-alterdatabase.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/runtime-config.html

Best Regards,