connection or query affected

From
Dennis Gearon
Date:
please cc me

If I am using some server side langauge to access Postgres - php,
python, perl, asp, if I make a connection, do the following actions
affect the connection, or the individual query that contains them:

    turn off autocommit
    start transaction
    commit transaction
    SET schema

Re: connection or query affected

From
Steven Klassen
Date:
* Dennis Gearon <gearond@fireserve.net> [2004-10-12 08:13:07 -0700]:

>    turn off autocommit

Per connection.

>    start transaction
>    commit transaction

They're statements themselves that change the state of the
connection. You start a transaction, run your queries, and then
commit/rollback.

>    SET schema

It depends if you're setting your search path for subsequent queries
which would be tracked per connection or you're actually prepending
the schema where the table exists in the query.

E.g.

$dbh->query("SET search_path='my_schema'");

- or -

$dbh->query('SELECT foo FROM my_schema.bar WHERE active');

--
Steven Klassen - Lead Programmer
PostgreSQL Replication & Support Services, (503) 667-4564

Date:
Steven Klassen wrote:

> * Dennis Gearon <gearond@fireserve.net> [2004-10-12 08:13:07 -0700]:
>

>>   turn off autocommit
>

> Per connection.
>

>>   start transaction
>>   commit transaction
>

> They're statements themselves that change the state of the
> connection. You start a transaction, run your queries, and then
> commit/rollback.
>

>>   SET schema
>

> It depends if you're setting your search path for subsequent queries
> which would be tracked per connection or you're actually prepending
> the schema where the table exists in the query.
>
> E.g.
>
> $dbh->query("SET search_path='my_schema'");
>
> - or -
>
> $dbh->query('SELECT foo FROM my_schema.bar WHERE active');

Thanks, I meant the first of the two schema related queries above.