Custom Functions

From
Matthew Metnetsky
Date:
I'm trying to write two custom recursive functions: one that selects,
and the other that selects/updates.

I've been looking around the internet for examples for they're so
limiting and completely off track from what I need to do.  The best
examples I can find is in the source code for Postgres, but that's so
complicated I barely have an idea whats going on with its limited
comments.

So, does anyone know of (or have) good examples of queries within
functions (and returning sets of data)?

Thanks in advance,

~ Matthew

Re: Custom Functions

From
"Katsaros Kwn/nos"
Date:
> So, does anyone know of (or have) good examples of queries within
> functions (and returning sets of data)?

I'm not very experienced in PostgreSQL but maybe SPI functions is what you
need.

Regards,
Ntinos Katsaros

Re: Custom Functions

From
Matthew Metnetsky
Date:
On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 10:55, Katsaros Kwn/nos wrote:
> > So, does anyone know of (or have) good examples of queries within
> > functions (and returning sets of data)?
>
> I'm not very experienced in PostgreSQL but maybe SPI functions is what you
> need.

Yeah I took a look at them, but I'm not sold because when I look at
Postgres' build in functions I never see it.  Its as if SPI_* is slower
or something.

Thanks though,

~ Matthew

Re: Custom Functions

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
Matthew Metnetsky <met@uberstats.com> writes:

> On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 10:55, Katsaros Kwn/nos wrote:
>> > So, does anyone know of (or have) good examples of queries within
>> > functions (and returning sets of data)?
>>
>> I'm not very experienced in PostgreSQL but maybe SPI functions is what you
>> need.
>
> Yeah I took a look at them, but I'm not sold because when I look at
> Postgres' build in functions I never see it.  Its as if SPI_* is slower
> or something.

SPI is an internal API for server-side functions to use.  Client apps
will never use it.

I think Katsaros might have meant "set-returning functions" (SRF)
which are documented in the manual and available to client apps.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863

Re: Custom Functions

From
Matthew Metnetsky
Date:
Hello,

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 13:57, Tim Penhey wrote:
> Matthew Metnetsky wrote:
>
> >So, does anyone know of (or have) good examples of queries within
> >functions (and returning sets of data)?
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >
> >~ Matthew
> >

> Hi Matthew,
>
> I wrote up an example which can be found at
> http://www.scorefirst.com/postgresql.html, not sure if it is what you
> are after or not.
>
> Tim

That was the exact foundation I was looking for.  I'm not sure why I
over looked plpgsql but I did, and its much easier than C custom
functions which are hideous and completely far from portable.

Thanks,

~ Matthew