data modeler

From
Matthew Hixson
Date:
I'm looking for a data modeler that can look at an existing database
schema and generate an ERD.  A PDF of it would be nice.  I'm using OS
X, but a Linux or Windows tool would be acceptable too.  I don't need
any other features than that right now.  Just want to generate
something that new developers can look at to more easily become
familiar with the schema.
   Thanks,
    -M@

Re: data modeler

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 07:02:26PM -0700, Matthew Hixson wrote:
> I'm looking for a data modeler that can look at an existing database
> schema and generate an ERD.  A PDF of it would be nice.  I'm using OS
> X, but a Linux or Windows tool would be acceptable too.  I don't need
> any other features than that right now.  Just want to generate
> something that new developers can look at to more easily become
> familiar with the schema.

Look for autodoc (or postgresql_autodoc) on http://pgfoundry.org.
Or maybe at http://www.rbt.ca

IMHO the GraphViz output is the most useful.

Y dijo Dios: "Que sea Satanás, para que la gente no me culpe de todo a mí."
"Y que hayan abogados, para que la gente no culpe de todo a Satanás"

Re: data modeler

From
Matthew Hixson
Date:
On Sep 23, 2004, at 7:19 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 07:02:26PM -0700, Matthew Hixson wrote:
>> I'm looking for a data modeler that can look at an existing database
>> schema and generate an ERD.  A PDF of it would be nice.  I'm using OS
>> X, but a Linux or Windows tool would be acceptable too.  I don't need
>> any other features than that right now.  Just want to generate
>> something that new developers can look at to more easily become
>> familiar with the schema.
>
> Look for autodoc (or postgresql_autodoc) on http://pgfoundry.org.
> Or maybe at http://www.rbt.ca
>
> IMHO the GraphViz output is the most useful.

I found this:  http://pgfoundry.org/projects/autodoc/

Is the only way to get this software through CVS?
   Thanks,
     -M@

Re: data modeler

From
Sim Zacks
Date:
I use software called Case Studio 2, which will read a database in a
number of different formats, including PostGreSQL and show you the ERD. You can always print
to PDF using PDFCreator or a similar tool.
http://www.casestudio.com

Thank You
Sim Zacks
IT Manager
CompuLab
04-829-0145 - Office
04-832-5251 - Fax

I'm looking for a data modeler that can look at an existing database
schema and generate an ERD.  A PDF of it would be nice.  I'm using OS
X, but a Linux or Windows tool would be acceptable too.  I don't need
any other features than that right now.  Just want to generate
something that new developers can look at to more easily become
familiar with the schema.
   Thanks,
    -M@

Re: data modeler

From
Bill Harris
Date:
hixson@poindextrose.org (Matthew Hixson) writes:

> I'm looking for a data modeler that can look at an existing database
> schema and generate an ERD.  A PDF of it would be nice.  I'm using OS
> X, but a Linux or Windows tool would be acceptable too.  I don't need
> any other features than that right now.  Just want to generate
> something that new developers can look at to more easily become
> familiar with the schema.

Druid? http://druid.sourceforge.net/

Bill
--
Bill Harris
Facilitated Systems

Re: data modeler

From
Richard Welty
Date:
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 04:30:38 GMT Bill Harris <bill_harris@facilitatedsystems.com> wrote:
> hixson@poindextrose.org (Matthew Hixson) writes:

> > I'm looking for a data modeler that can look at an existing database
> > schema and generate an ERD.  A PDF of it would be nice.  I'm using OS
> > X, but a Linux or Windows tool would be acceptable too.  I don't need
> > any other features than that right now.  Just want to generate
> > something that new developers can look at to more easily become
> > familiar with the schema.

> Druid? http://druid.sourceforge.net/

from reading the description, it looks like they might have something,
but there is *no* documentation and i can't figure out how they want
me to run the install jar file.

oh well,
  richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@averillpark.net

Re: data modeler

From
Chris Mair
Date:
> > Druid? http://druid.sourceforge.net/
>
> from reading the description, it looks like they might have something,
> but there is *no* documentation and i can't figure out how they want
> me to run the install jar file.

java -jar druid-3.5-install.jar

Bye, Chris.