Re: Can't connect to Windows port + other

From
"Anony Mous"
Date:
A few days ago there was a fellow that had trouble connecting remotely to
the 8.0 beta win port.  I had the same problem, but have since found the
solution.  In postgresql.conf file, ensure the line "listen_addresses" is
set to '*', ie,

listen_addresses = '*'

This should do it.  Can someone explain to my why this line is here?
Wouldn't the settings in the pg_hba.conf file limit who is able to connect?
If so, why not set the listen_addresses to '*' right away?

Also, while I'm at it, one more question if I may...

I'd like to be able to run a batch file to perform some tasks immediately
following installation of the database.  For example,

createuser -U [super user name] -a -d [user name]

but it always fails because I don't know how to add the password for the
super user into the command line, and of course the super user will always
have a password.  Is there a way to do this?

Much thanks to all.

Re: Can't connect to Windows port + other

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
"Anony Mous" <A.Mous@shaw.ca> writes:

> A few days ago there was a fellow that had trouble connecting remotely to
> the 8.0 beta win port.  I had the same problem, but have since found the
> solution.  In postgresql.conf file, ensure the line "listen_addresses" is
> set to '*', ie,
>
> listen_addresses = '*'
>
> This should do it.  Can someone explain to my why this line is here?

TCP/IP has always been disabled by default, leaving just Unix sockets
for connections.  This is probably not a very useful default
configuration on Windows.  :)

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863

Re: Can't connect to Windows port + other

Date:
"Anony Mous" <A.Mous@shaw.ca> writes:
> If so, why not set the listen_addresses to '*' right away?

Security.  It was difficult enough to get people to accept the current
liberalized default --- I don't think they'll go for defaulting to -i,
which is essentially what you're asking for.  It's seen as a good thing
that there are two, not one, levels of protection between you and having
a database server that's wide open to the entire internet.

> but it always fails because I don't know how to add the password for the
> super user into the command line, and of course the super user will always
> have a password.  Is there a way to do this?

Create a .pgpass file maybe?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Can't connect to Windows port + other

From
Robby Russell
Date:
On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 16:12, Doug McNaught wrote:
> "Anony Mous" <A.Mous@shaw.ca> writes:
>
> > A few days ago there was a fellow that had trouble connecting remotely to
> > the 8.0 beta win port.  I had the same problem, but have since found the
> > solution.  In postgresql.conf file, ensure the line "listen_addresses" is
> > set to '*', ie,
> >
> > listen_addresses = '*'
> >
> > This should do it.  Can someone explain to my why this line is here?
>
> TCP/IP has always been disabled by default, leaving just Unix sockets
> for connections.  This is probably not a very useful default
> configuration on Windows.  :)
>
> -Doug

Heh, at least it makes the user learn how to configure their postgresql
configuration. ;-)

-Robby

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON  | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR  | robby@planetargon.com
* 503.351.4730  | blog.planetargon.com
* PHP/PostgreSQL Hosting & Development

Re: Can't connect to Windows port + other

From
"Anony Mous"
Date:
Great, I found the part of the docs referring to this (ch 27.11) however, it
refers to creating this file in the user's home directory.  It seems this
part of the documentation is assuming I'm using *nix.  In Windows, where
should this file be located?  Also, .pgpass is an invalid file name in Win.

Thanks!

> If so, why not set the listen_addresses to '*' right away?

Security.  It was difficult enough to get people to accept the current
liberalized default --- I don't think they'll go for defaulting to -i,
which is essentially what you're asking for.  It's seen as a good thing
that there are two, not one, levels of protection between you and having
a database server that's wide open to the entire internet.

> but it always fails because I don't know how to add the password for the
> super user into the command line, and of course the super user will always
> have a password.  Is there a way to do this?

Create a .pgpass file maybe?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Can't connect to Windows port + other

From
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Date:
Anony Mous wrote:

> Great, I found the part of the docs referring to this (ch 27.11) however, it
> refers to creating this file in the user's home directory.  It seems this
> part of the documentation is assuming I'm using *nix.  In Windows, where
> should this file be located?  Also, .pgpass is an invalid file name in Win.

What is invalid about it?  Windows explorer tried to be cute and doesn't
allow you to create it, but that doesn't stop you from creating it with
another program.  Also, windows has users home directories, so the
.pgpass file would go there, perhaps:

C:\Documents and Setting\postgres\.pgpass

Matthew