Which Order Vacuum Full Analyze Cluster Reindex?

From
"borajetta"
Date:
I am trying to firgure out what the best order is?

I was thinking

Vacuum Full table;
Cluster table;
Analyze table;

I belive the vacuum full should be done first as it will remove the rows where no data exits so that when it is clustered it will be a perfect table, then analyze to build the info for the table.

Also where should the reindex's come in and should they be done?

Re: Which Order Vacuum Full Analyze Cluster Reindex?

Date:
"borajetta" <borajetta@hotmail.com> writes:
> I am trying to firgure out what the best order is?

> Vacuum Full table;
> Cluster table;
> Analyze table;

If you are going to CLUSTER then you can forget the VACUUM part
entirely.  Just do CLUSTER and then ANALYZE.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Which Order Vacuum Full Analyze Cluster Reindex?

From
Greg Stark
Date:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> If you are going to CLUSTER then you can forget the VACUUM part
> entirely.  Just do CLUSTER and then ANALYZE.

Out of curiosity, does cluster also effectively do a reindex?

--
greg

Re: Which Order Vacuum Full Analyze Cluster Reindex?

Date:
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> If you are going to CLUSTER then you can forget the VACUUM part
>> entirely.  Just do CLUSTER and then ANALYZE.

> Out of curiosity, does cluster also effectively do a reindex?

Yes, of course.  It rewrites a whole new table and then rebuilds
the indexes.

            regards, tom lane