Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Have you seen the discussion about the MONEY type on the hackers list
>
>today?  We don't even have the manpower to _remove_ or _adjust_ an
>existing data type that we know has been broken for perhaps +3 years.
>How are we going to find time to do more about integrating and
>supporting more software?
>
>Answer me that and we can move forward.

I see PostgreSQL taking a major leap forward with 8.0. You will
undoubtedly appeal to a much larger market. That in turn will increase
the pressure. You are getting increasingly popular and somehow you must
see to that this popularity is reflected in the amount of sponsoring
that you receive. If you don't, you will face even bigger resource
problems in the future.

A good way to appeal to sponsors is to extend what you do today to
include more features so what I'm suggesting would probably be a good
thing in that respect.

Perhaps I'm a bit to visionary. But I really think you (the core
commitee) need to consider this.

Regards,

Thomas Hallgren

Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions on

Date:
Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> I see PostgreSQL taking a major leap forward with 8.0. You will
> undoubtedly appeal to a much larger market. That in turn will increase
> the pressure. You are getting increasingly popular and somehow you must
> see to that this popularity is reflected in the amount of sponsoring
> that you receive. If you don't, you will face even bigger resource
> problems in the future.
>
> A good way to appeal to sponsors is to extend what you do today to
> include more features so what I'm suggesting would probably be a good
> thing in that respect.
>
> Perhaps I'm a bit to visionary. But I really think you (the core
> commitee) need to consider this.

I have already heard from one company-sponsored guy who might want to
take this on, so there is hope.

Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions

Date:
Thomas Hallgren <thhal@mailblocks.com> writes:
> Perhaps I'm a bit to visionary. But I really think you (the core
> commitee) need to consider this.

[ looks at Bruce's and Marc's quite independent responses ... ]  I think
the core committee has made it perfectly clear that we don't want to
take this on.

Let's be clear: the idea of having someone select, test, and bundle
PostgreSQL-plus-worthwhile-addons is a fine one.  It would be a great
way for some new people to make a big contribution to Postgres --- not
least because it requires different interests and skill sets than are
needed for working on any one of the components (and in this context,
the core server is just a component).  But if you're expecting the
present set of worker bees to pick up this job, don't hold your breath.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> Thomas Hallgren <thhal@mailblocks.com> writes:
>> Perhaps I'm a bit to visionary. But I really think you (the core
>> commitee) need to consider this.
>
> [ looks at Bruce's and Marc's quite independent responses ... ]  I think
> the core committee has made it perfectly clear that we don't want to
> take this on.

Ya, I think Bruce and I said about the same thing, just from different
angles ... and I'm sticking to that story :)

----