Re: Postgresql feature

From
Gaetano Mendola
Laimis K wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm oracle man.
>
> So, how about features in postgesql which exists in oracle db (order is
> casual) ?
> 1. Sequences
> 2. Packages
> 3. Functions/procedures
> 4. Full-text
> 5. Triggers
> 6. Jobs
> 7. Synonyms
> 8. Replication

1) Serial, but I don't know the Oracle one...
2) Schema ?
3) Yes, functions
4) tsearch2
5) Yes
6) ??
7) ??
8) A couple of solutions

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/index.html

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

Re: Postgresql feature

From
John Sidney-Woollett
Date:
Bit more info (from my own findings migrating from Oracle -> Postgres)

Sequences - YES
Packages - NO (concept doesn't exist in PG)
Functions - YES, Procedures - NO (also no INOUT or OUT parameters)
Full-text - YES, tSearch2
Triggers - YES
Jobs - NO, (but scheduled tasks can be implemented in other ways)
Synonyms - NO (can be frigged using search_paths and schemas)
Replication - more than one option depending on requirement

You will miss certain Oracle features, but once you get into the swing
of postgres you'll not look back. Also consider how much money you'll
save in license fees!

John Sidney-Woollett

Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> Laimis K wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I'm oracle man.
>>
>> So, how about features in postgesql which exists in oracle db (order is
>> casual) ?
>> 1. Sequences
>> 2. Packages
>> 3. Functions/procedures
>> 4. Full-text
>> 5. Triggers
>> 6. Jobs
>> 7. Synonyms
>> 8. Replication
>

> 1) Serial, but I don't know the Oracle one...
> 2) Schema ?
> 3) Yes, functions
> 4) tsearch2
> 5) Yes
> 6) ??
> 7) ??
> 8) A couple of solutions
>

> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/index.html
>

> Regards
> Gaetano Mendola

Re: Postgresql feature

From
Ben
Date:
Is it just me, or has there been a rash of "I'm thinking about postgres
and coming from an oracle background" questions recently? Was there some
writeup of postgres in a db rag in the last month or so?

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, John Sidney-Woollett wrote:

> Bit more info (from my own findings migrating from Oracle -> Postgres)
>
> Sequences - YES
> Packages - NO (concept doesn't exist in PG)
> Functions - YES, Procedures - NO (also no INOUT or OUT parameters)
> Full-text - YES, tSearch2
> Triggers - YES
> Jobs - NO, (but scheduled tasks can be implemented in other ways)
> Synonyms - NO (can be frigged using search_paths and schemas)
> Replication - more than one option depending on requirement
>
> You will miss certain Oracle features, but once you get into the swing
> of postgres you'll not look back. Also consider how much money you'll
> save in license fees!
>
> John Sidney-Woollett
>
> Gaetano Mendola wrote:
>
> > Laimis K wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> I'm oracle man.
> >>
> >> So, how about features in postgesql which exists in oracle db (order is
> >> casual) ?
> >> 1. Sequences
> >> 2. Packages
> >> 3. Functions/procedures
> >> 4. Full-text
> >> 5. Triggers
> >> 6. Jobs
> >> 7. Synonyms
> >> 8. Replication
> >

> > 1) Serial, but I don't know the Oracle one...
> > 2) Schema ?
> > 3) Yes, functions
> > 4) tsearch2
> > 5) Yes
> > 6) ??
> > 7) ??
> > 8) A couple of solutions
> >

> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/index.html
> >

> > Regards
> > Gaetano Mendola

> >               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html

Re: Postgresql feature

From
Andrew Rawnsley
Date:
If you use it enough, I think it is inevitable that something,
sometime, somewhere will really honk you
off about Oracle. With the feature bloat they're into these days, very
likely it will be something
you care nothing about that does it, too.

On Aug 18, 2004, at 2:08 PM, Ben wrote:

> Is it just me, or has there been a rash of "I'm thinking about postgres
> and coming from an oracle background" questions recently? Was there
> some
> writeup of postgres in a db rag in the last month or so?
>
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, John Sidney-Woollett wrote:
>
>> Bit more info (from my own findings migrating from Oracle -> Postgres)
>>
>> Sequences - YES
>> Packages - NO (concept doesn't exist in PG)
>> Functions - YES, Procedures - NO (also no INOUT or OUT parameters)
>> Full-text - YES, tSearch2
>> Triggers - YES
>> Jobs - NO, (but scheduled tasks can be implemented in other ways)
>> Synonyms - NO (can be frigged using search_paths and schemas)
>> Replication - more than one option depending on requirement
>>
>> You will miss certain Oracle features, but once you get into the swing
>> of postgres you'll not look back. Also consider how much money you'll
>> save in license fees!
>>
>> John Sidney-Woollett
>>
>> Gaetano Mendola wrote:

>>> 1) Serial, but I don't know the Oracle one...
>>> 2) Schema ?
>>> 3) Yes, functions
>>> 4) tsearch2
>>> 5) Yes
>>> 6) ??
>>> 7) ??
>>> 8) A couple of solutions
>>>

>>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/index.html
>>>

>>> Regards
>>> Gaetano Mendola

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> majordomo@postgresql.org)

--------------------

Andrew Rawnsley
President
The Ravensfield Digital Resource Group, Ltd.
(740) 587-0114
www.ravensfield.com

Re: Postgresql feature

From
Richard Welty
Date:
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:29:03 -0400 Andrew Rawnsley <ronz@ravensfield.com> wrote:

> If you use it enough, I think it is inevitable that something,
> sometime, somewhere will really honk you
> off about Oracle. With the feature bloat they're into these days, very
> likely it will be something
> you care nothing about that does it, too.

the size of the frigging download is enough to honk nearly
anyone off.

the thing is what, two orders of magnitude bigger than all of
PostgreSQL?

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@averillpark.net

Re: Postgresql feature

From
Shridhar Daithankar
Date:
John Sidney-Woollett wrote:

> Bit more info (from my own findings migrating from Oracle -> Postgres)
>
> Sequences - YES
> Packages - NO (concept doesn't exist in PG)

You can create a schema to put all your functions/procedures in it  and provide
access control to it.

I think it is good enough emulation of packages barring compiling them to detect
errors in pl/sql code.

This has been mentioned before and few people reported it to be good enough
workaround..

HTH

  Shridhar

Re: Postgresql feature

From
Adam Ruth
Date:
Amen to that.  I have to use Oracle at work, but I use PostgreSQL for
all my side stuff.  Man do I ever miss psql when I'm in SQL*Plus...

On Aug 18, 2004, at 12:29 PM, Andrew Rawnsley wrote:

> If you use it enough, I think it is inevitable that something,
> sometime, somewhere will really honk you
> off about Oracle. With the feature bloat they're into these days, very
> likely it will be something
> you care nothing about that does it, too.
>
> On Aug 18, 2004, at 2:08 PM, Ben wrote:
>
>> Is it just me, or has there been a rash of "I'm thinking about
>> postgres
>> and coming from an oracle background" questions recently? Was there
>> some
>> writeup of postgres in a db rag in the last month or so?
>>
>> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, John Sidney-Woollett wrote:
>>
>>> Bit more info (from my own findings migrating from Oracle ->
>>> Postgres)
>>>
>>> Sequences - YES
>>> Packages - NO (concept doesn't exist in PG)
>>> Functions - YES, Procedures - NO (also no INOUT or OUT parameters)
>>> Full-text - YES, tSearch2
>>> Triggers - YES
>>> Jobs - NO, (but scheduled tasks can be implemented in other ways)
>>> Synonyms - NO (can be frigged using search_paths and schemas)
>>> Replication - more than one option depending on requirement
>>>
>>> You will miss certain Oracle features, but once you get into the
>>> swing
>>> of postgres you'll not look back. Also consider how much money you'll
>>> save in license fees!
>>>
>>> John Sidney-Woollett

>> ---------------------------(end of
>> broadcast)---------------------------
>> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>>     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to
>> majordomo@postgresql.org)
>>
> --------------------
>
> Andrew Rawnsley
> President
> The Ravensfield Digital Resource Group, Ltd.
> (740) 587-0114
> www.ravensfield.com
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Postgresql feature

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 13:53, John Sidney-Woollett wrote:
> Bit more info (from my own findings migrating from Oracle -> Postgres)
> Jobs - NO, (but scheduled tasks can be implemented in other ways)

There is a project on gborg (or maybe pgfoundry) called pgjobs which
aims to create an oracle like task schedular in postgresql. not sure how
mature it is but might be worth a look for those interested in this.

Robert Treat

Re: Postgresql feature

From
snpe
Date:
Main features which Oracle have and postgresql no (for me):
- object dependency - when I change any object (view, function ..) in postgresql I have to delete all dependencies
objects - Oracle auto compile all dependencies
- distributed databases - all dml, ddl, connect etc work in distributed systems
- true cursor managment - all oracle command are cursor (parse, bind, fetch arbitary numebr of rows)
- select out of transaction managment (select withoout mutable functions - don't update in database)

regards