datpath error

From
"Raymond O'Donnell"
Date:
Hello all,

I've installed the new Win32 version of 8.0-beta1, running as a
service. When I connect to it using pgAdmin III and attempt to list
databases, I get an error: 'Column "datpath" does not exist.' I got
the same error reported when starting postmaster from the command
line using pg_ctl.

It's not causing me any real problems, apart from having to use psql
rather than pgAdmin for administration.

--Ray.

Raymond O'Donnell     http://www.galwaycathedral.org/recitals
rod@iol.ie                          Galway Cathedral Recitals

Re: datpath error

Date:
"Raymond O'Donnell" <rod@iol.ie> writes:
> I've installed the new Win32 version of 8.0-beta1, running as a
> service. When I connect to it using pgAdmin III and attempt to list
> databases, I get an error: 'Column "datpath" does not exist.'

You need a newer pgAdmin.

            regards, tom lane

Strange pg_hba.conf error (repost)

From
Karam Chand
Date:
Hello,

I had posted my problem before but guess it didnt get
thru correctly. Sorry for the repeatation :)

I am facing a strange problem with pg_hba.conf. I know
I am doing something very stupid.

I had a user kirk who had a pg server running under
him. We had a database by the name kirk and everything
was fine. Then he left the job and we had a new user.
We started the pg using initdb and gave all permission
to the data directory to joe(new user). Now we cant
seem to start login to the server at all.

createuser, createdb etc. all giving the same error:

No entry defined in pg_hba.conf for localhost, user
jor, database template1.

I have checked pg_hba.conf and I have the sentence:

host all all 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.255 trust

but for no avail.

in postresql.conf i have tcp_socket set to true.

What I am doing wrong? In despair..

Regards,
Karam

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Re: Strange pg_hba.conf error (repost)

Date:
Karam Chand <karam_chand03@yahoo.com> writes:
> createuser, createdb etc. all giving the same error:

> No entry defined in pg_hba.conf for localhost, user
> jor, database template1.

This is probably complaining about the lack of a "local" line,
not a "host" line.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Strange pg_hba.conf error (repost)

From
Karam Chand
Well from:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/client-authentication.html

local
This record matches connection attempts using Unix
domain sockets. Without a record of this type,
Unix-domain socket connections are disallowed

Since I am connecting from my linux box, it might be
the problem. I am in home now - will check it agin
tomorrow in office. damn no SSH to the linux box.

by the way, i have one question. since the old user
left the job and we deleted his account who owns
postgresql and its data? does the old database with
his name which we used to work still exists? I am
little confused on this issue as I come from mySQL
background and we didnt have usernames based on the
Linux usernames?

The postgresql book by wrox tells us to create a user
postgres using "useradd" command but when I look into
User & groups using RH9.1 configuration tool I dont
see any such users but the corresponding "useradd
postgres" fails. Little confusing...damn my
intelligence...

This leads me to another question: can somebody point
me to a doc that teaches me usermanagement and default
databases (template0 and template1) in newbie terms.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Karam

--- Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Karam Chand <karam_chand03@yahoo.com> writes:
> > createuser, createdb etc. all giving the same
> error:
>
> > No entry defined in pg_hba.conf for localhost,
> user
> > jor, database template1.
>
> This is probably complaining about the lack of a
> "local" line,
> not a "host" line.
>
>             regards, tom lane

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Re: Strange pg_hba.conf error (repost)

From
Arthur van Dorp
Date:
> The postgresql book by wrox tells us to create a user
> postgres using "useradd" command but when I look into
> User & groups using RH9.1 configuration tool I dont
> see any such users but the corresponding "useradd
> postgres" fails. Little confusing...damn my
> intelligence...

Have a look at the file /etc/passwd. It lists all the users on the
system (if you use the standard authentication method and not some
network stuff like NFS or the like). "man 5 passwd" should explain the
file format for you. RHs configuration tool probably doesn't tell you
about all users but only about those in the group of "living people"
(usually "users"). Look for a config option like "Show all users" or
"Show system users".
Have fun!

Yours
Arthur