php -postgresql

From
Jay
Date:
hi people,
i have been trying to connect to the database using php. but i am not
able to do so .i am getting the following errors

      *Warning*: pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server:
      FATAL: IDENT authentication failed for user "jay" . in
      */var/www/proj/psql_results.php* on line *37*

on using the following command
 $connection = pg_connect("host=localhost dbname=cs542 user=jay") or
die("could not connect");

 can anyone tell me where am i going wrong.
help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
jay

Re: php -postgresql

From
Chris
>       *Warning*: pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server:
>       FATAL: IDENT authentication failed for user "jay" . in
>       */var/www/proj/psql_results.php* on line *37*
>
> on using the following command
>  $connection = pg_connect("host=localhost dbname=cs542 user=jay") or
> die("could not connect");

check out $PGDATA/pg_hba.conf

bye, chris

Re: php -postgresql

From
Martin Marques
Date:
El Mié 28 Jul 2004 15:12, Jay escribió:
> hi people,
> i have been trying to connect to the database using php. but i am not
> able to do so .i am getting the following errors
>

>       *Warning*: pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server:
>       FATAL: IDENT authentication failed for user "jay" . in
>       */var/www/proj/psql_results.php* on line *37*

The error message is quite obvious. You have an authentication problem.

First, you are not sending the password, and it looks like you are using the
ident method to autenticate, so jay should authenticate againt the ident
server.

You should take a good look at pg_hba.conf before you continue with the
coding.

--
 16:05:01 up 23 days,  7:42,  1 user,  load average: 1.86, 0.97, 0.57
Martín Marqués        | select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar'

Re: php -postgresql

From
Geoff Caplan
Date:
Jay,

J> hi people,
J> i have been trying to connect to the database using php. but i am not
J> able to do so .i am getting the following errors

You won't get in as user "Jay" on the default access settings. Unless
you change the settings, Postgres expects to the system user to have
the same username as the Postgres user. So the path of least
resistance is to set up a Postgres user with the same name as Apache
has on your system, and use that as the username in pg_connect().

------------------
Geoff Caplan
Vario Software Ltd
(+44) 121-515 1154

Re: php -postgresql

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 14:08, Geoff Caplan wrote:
> Jay,
>
> J> hi people,
> J> i have been trying to connect to the database using php. but i am not
> J> able to do so .i am getting the following errors
>
> You won't get in as user "Jay" on the default access settings. Unless
> you change the settings, Postgres expects to the system user to have
> the same username as the Postgres user. So the path of least
> resistance is to set up a Postgres user with the same name as Apache
> has on your system, and use that as the username in pg_connect().

Actually, with ident turned on, you shouldn't need to have a user listed
in pg_connect, or a password.