7.5 beta?

From
"David Parker"
Date:
Hi. I understand from lurking on Hackers that 7.5 is nearing beta. What
is the typical timeframe for a postgres beta? It's understood, of
course, that beta might take longer depending on problems that show up,
but I'm wondering if there is an average.

It's my understanding that the contrib/pg_autovacuum functionality has
been absorbed into the kernel for 7.5? I'm trying to decide if I should
do the work to get pg_autovacuum integrated with our system install, or
just wait for 7.5....

Thanks.

-  DAP
David Parker    Tazz Networks    (401) 709-5130

Re: 7.5 beta?

From
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Date:
David Parker wrote:

>Hi. I understand from lurking on Hackers that 7.5 is nearing beta. What
>is the typical timeframe for a postgres beta? It's understood, of
>course, that beta might take longer depending on problems that show up,
>but I'm wondering if there is an average.

Someone else might give a more accurate answer based on the actual dates
from our last few releases, but my guess is at lease 3 months from the
beginning of beta.

>It's my understanding that the contrib/pg_autovacuum functionality has
>been absorbed into the kernel for 7.5? I'm trying to decide if I should
>do the work to get pg_autovacuum integrated with our system install, or
>just wait for 7.5....

pg_autovacuum is being included in the PostgreSQL backend for 7.5.
However,  there isn't much work involved in setting it up for 7.4.  I
don't know what type of system you are on, but I know the redhat
postgresql-contrib rpm includes pg_autovacuum.  Then you just have to
run it.  I can help you get started if you need it.

Matthew

Re: 7.5 beta?

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:

Re: 7.5 beta?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:

> David Parker wrote:
>
>> Hi. I understand from lurking on Hackers that 7.5 is nearing beta. What
>> is the typical timeframe for a postgres beta? It's understood, of
>> course, that beta might take longer depending on problems that show up,
>> but I'm wondering if there is an average.
>>
> Someone else might give a more accurate answer based on the actual dates from
> our last few releases, but my guess is at lease 3 months from the beginning
> of beta.

This seems to be about average ... I can't see release before end of
September, earliest, with the amount of stuff we have in this release ...
*but* ... considering that a large portion of it was 'reviewed and
debugged' over the past month, hopefully the # of bugs is a bit less then
past betas ...

----

Re: 7.5 beta?

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 11:42, David Parker wrote:
> Hi. I understand from lurking on Hackers that 7.5 is nearing beta. What
> is the typical timeframe for a postgres beta? It's understood, of
> course, that beta might take longer depending on problems that show up,
> but I'm wondering if there is an average.
>
> It's my understanding that the contrib/pg_autovacuum functionality has
> been absorbed into the kernel for 7.5? I'm trying to decide if I should
> do the work to get pg_autovacuum integrated with our system install, or
> just wait for 7.5....

There's a ton of features going into the next release.  I'm guessing it
will take a while to finish beta.  By the end of the year seems a
reasonable guess.

And, as always, the quicker users download either the snapshots now, or
the betas then and test them and report the errors, the quicker the beta
will go too.