dumping the schema

From
"raptor@tvskat.net"
Date:
How to DUMP the Database schema, (so later can get it back i.e recreate everything).
I need only the schema (tables, users, groups etc..)  now (not the data, is it any different if i want the data too).

the dump should be in order so that i can just execute it...

One more thing I created db and tables with default config (with pgadmin3) i.e. owner postgres,
Now I want to switch all to other user I just created, can I do it "at once" or I
have to go and edit permission of every table...
Can I remove any access to the DB for "postgres" and "public" and leave such access to
my new user OR they should stay for some db-functionality..

tia

Re: dumping the schema

From
Shridhar Daithankar
Date:
raptor@tvskat.net wrote:
> How to DUMP the Database schema, (so later can get it back i.e recreate everything).
> I need only the schema (tables, users, groups etc..)  now (not the data, is it any different if i want the data too).

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/app-pgdump.html

Check --schema-only/--data-only options.

> the dump should be in order so that i can just execute it...

psql dbname < dump.file

This is the simplest way of restoring a dump.

> One more thing I created db and tables with default config (with pgadmin3) i.e. owner postgres,
> Now I want to switch all to other user I just created, can I do it "at once" or I
> have to go and edit permission of every table...

Dump the schema and hand-edit it to change ownership.

> Can I remove any access to the DB for "postgres" and "public" and leave such access to
> my new user OR they should stay for some db-functionality..

Well, you better leave those users and accesses in place on system objects at
least. For use defined table, you can fiddle around as you please.

HTH

  Shridhar