Horology & stats tests fail in 7.4.3/RH 9

From
Chuck Bearden
Date:
I am building from a freshly downloaded tar.gz of 7.4.3.  The machine is
a 4CPU Dell with an unsupported RH 9 install.  (FWIW, I didn't set it
up, and to do anything requiring root access I have to go sit at the
IT guy's console from which he SSHs in to the box.  The IT folks are
smart but not Linux cogniscenti.)

When I ran the regression tests, two failed: horology and stats.  I'll
append the content of the regression.diffs file to the posting.

Is this something I should be worried about?  I can get more info about
the system if that would be helpful, but the only configure option I
exercised was '--prefix=', so I'm not sure what would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Chuck

*** ./expected/horology.out     Thu Sep 25 01:58:06 2003
--- ./results/horology.out      Thu Jul 15 10:47:33 2004
***************
*** 1787,1796 ****
!      | Sat Sep 22 18:19:20 2001 PDT | @ 34 years                    | Fri Sep 22 18:19:20 1967 PDT
!      | Thu Jan 01 00:00:00 1970 PST | @ 5 mons 12 hours             | Thu Jul 31 12:00:00 1969 PDT
!      | Thu Jan 01 00:00:00 1970 PST | @ 5 mons                      | Fri Aug 01 00:00:00 1969 PDT
!      | Thu Jan 01 00:00:00 1970 PST | @ 3 mons                      | Wed Oct 01 00:00:00 1969 PDT
!      | Sat Sep 22 18:19:20 2001 PDT | @ 34 years                    | Fri Sep 22 18:19:20 1967 PST
!      | Thu Jan 01 00:00:00 1970 PST | @ 5 mons 12 hours             | Thu Jul 31 12:00:00 1969 PST
!      | Thu Jan 01 00:00:00 1970 PST | @ 5 mons                      | Fri Aug 01 00:00:00 1969 PST
!      | Thu Jan 01 00:00:00 1970 PST | @ 3 mons                      | Wed Oct 01 00:00:00 1969 PST
       | Thu Jan 01 00:00:00 1970 PST | @ 10 days                     | Mon Dec 22 00:00:00 1969 PST
       | Thu Jan 01 00:00:00 1970 PST | @ 1 day 2 hours 3 mins 4 secs | Tue Dec 30 21:56:56 1969 PST
       | Thu Jan 01 00:00:00 1970 PST | @ 5 hours                     | Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969 PST

*** ./expected/stats.out        Fri Oct 31 21:18:20 2003
--- ./results/stats.out Thu Jul 15 10:47:45 2004
***************
*** 8,14 ****
  SHOW stats_start_collector;  -- must be on
   stats_start_collector
  -----------------------
!  on
  (1 row)

  -- save counters
--- 8,14 ----
  SHOW stats_start_collector;  -- must be on
   stats_start_collector
  -----------------------
!  off
  (1 row)

  -- save counters
***************
*** 62,68 ****
   WHERE st.relname='tenk2' AND cl.relname='tenk2';
   ?column? | ?column? | ?column? | ?column?
  ----------+----------+----------+----------
!  t        | t        | t        | t
  (1 row)

  SELECT st.heap_blks_read + st.heap_blks_hit >= pr.heap_blks +
cl.relpages,
--- 62,68 ----
   WHERE st.relname='tenk2' AND cl.relname='tenk2';
   ?column? | ?column? | ?column? | ?column?
  ----------+----------+----------+----------
!  f        | f        | f        | f

*** 71,77 ****
   WHERE st.relname='tenk2' AND cl.relname='tenk2';
   ?column? | ?column?
  ----------+----------
!  t        | t
  (1 row)

  -- clean up
--- 71,77 ----
   WHERE st.relname='tenk2' AND cl.relname='tenk2';
   ?column? | ?column?
  ----------+----------
!  f        | f
  (1 row)

  -- clean up

Re: Horology & stats tests fail in 7.4.3/RH 9

Date:
Chuck Bearden <cbearden@hal-pc.org> writes:
> I am building from a freshly downloaded tar.gz of 7.4.3.  The machine is
> a 4CPU Dell with an unsupported RH 9 install.

> When I ran the regression tests, two failed: horology and stats.  I'll
> append the content of the regression.diffs file to the posting.

> Is this something I should be worried about?

Your horology results appear to match the no-DST-before-1970 variant,
which would be unsurprising on some variants of Unix but it is a tad
surprising on a recent Linux platform.  Still, unless you are planning
to do stuff with pre-1970 timestamps it's not worth getting excited
about.

The stats failure shows that the statistics collector is not starting.
The only cause of that I've seen in the past is broken or overly
restrictive configuration of local-loopback IP connections.  Look in the
postmaster's log for more details.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:33:40AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Chuck Bearden <cbearden@hal-pc.org> writes:
> > I am building from a freshly downloaded tar.gz of 7.4.3.  The machine is
> > a 4CPU Dell with an unsupported RH 9 install.
>
> > When I ran the regression tests, two failed: horology and stats.  I'll
> > append the content of the regression.diffs file to the posting.
>
> > Is this something I should be worried about?
>
> Your horology results appear to match the no-DST-before-1970 variant,
> which would be unsurprising on some variants of Unix but it is a tad
> surprising on a recent Linux platform.  Still, unless you are planning
> to do stuff with pre-1970 timestamps it's not worth getting excited
> about.

It doesn't sound like something I need to worry about for this project.

> The stats failure shows that the statistics collector is not starting.
> The only cause of that I've seen in the past is broken or overly
> restrictive configuration of local-loopback IP connections.  Look in the
> postmaster's log for more details.

That makes sense.  I need to review the iptables rules--they weren't my
creation, and I'm not sure the guy who set them up opened up traffic on
lo completely.  As I said, I don't have root unless I'm practically
sitting in the admin's lap.

Thanks very much for your responses.  They were quite helpful.

Chuck