Column as result of subtraction of two other columns?

From
"Mark Cave-Ayland"
Date:
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to calculate an output column which is the difference of two
other columns in the query output; the first column is an aggregate of
items in stock, while the second column is an aggregate of items which
have been used. The third column should should be the difference of the
two values so I can then output all three columns in a table.

Unfortunately I can't get this to work at the moment :(. I've simplified
the query down to the following:

dev=# select 1 as a, 2 as b, (b - a) as c;
ERROR:  column "b" does not exist
dev=#

Do I need to create some form of alias so the calculation can see the
other columns? I am using PostgreSQL 7.4.2 on Linux.

Many thanks,

Mark.

---

Mark Cave-Ayland
Webbased Ltd.
Tamar Science Park
Derriford
Plymouth
PL6 8BX
England

Tel: +44 (0)1752 764445
Fax: +44 (0)1752 764446

recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender. You
should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute
its contents to any other person.

Re: Column as result of subtraction of two other columns?

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 15:31:33 +0100,
  Mark Cave-Ayland <m.cave-ayland@webbased.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to calculate an output column which is the difference of two
> other columns in the query output; the first column is an aggregate of
> items in stock, while the second column is an aggregate of items which
> have been used. The third column should should be the difference of the
> two values so I can then output all three columns in a table.
>
> Unfortunately I can't get this to work at the moment :(. I've simplified
> the query down to the following:
>
> dev=# select 1 as a, 2 as b, (b - a) as c;
> ERROR:  column "b" does not exist
> dev=#
>
> Do I need to create some form of alias so the calculation can see the
> other columns? I am using PostgreSQL 7.4.2 on Linux.

You can't use column aliases in other columns; you need to repeat the
column expressions.

Re: Column as result of subtraction of two other columns?

From
Paul Thomas
Date:
On 16/07/2004 15:31 Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to calculate an output column which is the difference of two
> other columns in the query output; the first column is an aggregate of
> items in stock, while the second column is an aggregate of items which
> have been used. The third column should should be the difference of the
> two values so I can then output all three columns in a table.
>
> Unfortunately I can't get this to work at the moment :(. I've simplified
> the query down to the following:
>
> dev=# select 1 as a, 2 as b, (b - a) as c;
> ERROR:  column "b" does not exist
> dev=#
>
> Do I need to create some form of alias so the calculation can see the
> other columns? I am using PostgreSQL 7.4.2 on Linux.

I think you can use a sub-select (this works for me on 7.3.4):

select a, b, (b - a) as c from (select .... as a, .... as b from mytable)
as sub;

HTH

--
Paul Thomas
| Thomas Micro Systems Limited | Software Solutions for
Business             |
| Computer Consultants         |

Re: Column as result of subtraction of two other columns?

From
John Sidney-Woollett
Date:
Try

select a, b, (b - a) as diff from (
  select 1 as a, 2 as b
) as tmp;

John Sidney-Woollett

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 15:31:33 +0100,
>   Mark Cave-Ayland <m.cave-ayland@webbased.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Hi everyone,
>>
>>I'm trying to calculate an output column which is the difference of two
>>other columns in the query output; the first column is an aggregate of
>>items in stock, while the second column is an aggregate of items which
>>have been used. The third column should should be the difference of the
>>two values so I can then output all three columns in a table.
>>
>>Unfortunately I can't get this to work at the moment :(. I've simplified
>>the query down to the following:
>>
>>dev=# select 1 as a, 2 as b, (b - a) as c;
>>ERROR:  column "b" does not exist
>>dev=#
>>
>>Do I need to create some form of alias so the calculation can see the
>>other columns? I am using PostgreSQL 7.4.2 on Linux.
>

> You can't use column aliases in other columns; you need to repeat the
> column expressions.

Re: Column as result of subtraction of two other columns?

From
Jean-Luc Lachance
Date:
Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to calculate an output column which is the difference of two
> other columns in the query output; the first column is an aggregate of
> items in stock, while the second column is an aggregate of items which
> have been used. The third column should should be the difference of the
> two values so I can then output all three columns in a table.
>
> Unfortunately I can't get this to work at the moment :(. I've simplified
> the query down to the following:
>
> dev=# select 1 as a, 2 as b, (b - a) as c;
> ERROR:  column "b" does not exist
> dev=#
>
> Do I need to create some form of alias so the calculation can see the
> other columns? I am using PostgreSQL 7.4.2 on Linux.

You can can try:

select a, b, a-b from
  ( select sum( x) as a, sum( y) as b from whatever group by z);

You can also do:

select sum( x), sum( y), sum(x-y) from whatever group by z;

HTH