core dump

From
"John Liu"

We upgraded from 7.2 to 7.4, it looks like everything working, but when I issue a query such as select * from tab (tab has about 2-3 million records), it causes core dump. I tuned some the parameters, it still produce the core.

Thanks for any hints.

johnl

Re: core dump

From
Bill Moran
Date:
"John Liu" <johnl@emrx.com> wrote:

> We upgraded from 7.2 to 7.4, it looks like everything working, but when I
> issue a query such as select * from tab (tab has about 2-3 million records),
> it causes core dump. I tuned some the parameters, it still produce the core.

It's unlikely that any config settings are causing coredumps.

Did you backup and rebuild the database during the upgrade procedure?  If not,
this could be your problem.  You can't run 7.4 on a 7.2 database.

Otherwise, you may want to provide more details about the host system and
the upgrade procedures you followed.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies

Re: core dump

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 15:57, John Liu wrote:
> We upgraded from 7.2 to 7.4, it looks like everything working, but
> when I issue a query such as select * from tab (tab has about 2-3
> million records), it causes core dump. I tuned some the parameters, it
> still produce the core.

How odd.  Anything else cause it to dump quickly?

Does it core if you just run explain select ... (note the lack of an
analyze there, as we don't want anything but the planner to run.)

Does selecting from another large table cause the same problem, or is
this a one table thing?

Re: core dump

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 16:19, Bill Moran wrote:
> "John Liu" <johnl@emrx.com> wrote:
>
> > We upgraded from 7.2 to 7.4, it looks like everything working, but when I
> > issue a query such as select * from tab (tab has about 2-3 million records),
> > it causes core dump. I tuned some the parameters, it still produce the core.
>
> It's unlikely that any config settings are causing coredumps.
>
> Did you backup and rebuild the database during the upgrade procedure?  If not,
> this could be your problem.  You can't run 7.4 on a 7.2 database.

7.4 should refuse to start, without touching the data directory in the
old 7.2 directory

You should get a version mismatch and a bail out when trying to do so.

Re: core dump

From
"John Liu"
Date:
Yes, it'll core dump if select * from another big table. Here're some extra
info  -

emrxdbs=# explain select * from patient;
                                  QUERY PLAN

---
 Seq Scan on patient  (cost=100000000.00..100083605.77 rows=3296977
width=147)
(1 row)

emrxdbs=# explain analyze select * from patient;
                                                            QUERY PLAN

 Seq Scan on patient  (cost=100000000.00..100083605.77 rows=3296977
width=147) (actual time=0.052..18093.297 rows=3530593 loops=1)
 Total runtime: 21877.238 ms
(2 rows)

emrxdbs=# select * from patient;
Illegal instruction (core dumped)

Thanks.

johnl

Date:
"John Liu" <johnl@emrx.com> writes:
> emrxdbs=# select * from patient;
> Illegal instruction (core dumped)

Oh, you mean psql is dumping core instead of the backend.  Sounds like
it's failing to recover nicely from running out of memory for the query
result.

Can you get a stack trace for us?

            regards, tom lane