row access

From
Bambero
Date:
Hi

Like in the subject. I have few tables i relations with themselves.
There are many users that may insert a rows. But i want that only owner
can modify or delete a row.

I found somwhere an information that can use here LOCK, but I don't know
how.

Please help

Bambero

Re: row access

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 18:35:29 +0200,
  Bambero <robert@agiti.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Like in the subject. I have few tables i relations with themselves.
> There are many users that may insert a rows. But i want that only owner
> can modify or delete a row.
>
> I found somwhere an information that can use here LOCK, but I don't know
> how.

You don't want LOCK, you want GRANT and REVOKE.

Re: row access

From
Bambero
Date:
Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 18:35:29 +0200,
>  Bambero <robert@agiti.net> wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>Like in the subject. I have few tables i relations with themselves.
>>There are many users that may insert a rows. But i want that only owner
>>can modify or delete a row.
>>
>>I found somwhere an information that can use here LOCK, but I don't know
>>how.
>>

>You don't want LOCK, you want GRANT and REVOKE.

GRANT for row access ?

If you have any ideas example please

Re: row access

From
"Scot L. Harris"
Date:
On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 12:35, Bambero wrote:
> Hi
>
> Like in the subject. I have few tables i relations with themselves.
> There are many users that may insert a rows. But i want that only owner
> can modify or delete a row.
>
> I found somwhere an information that can use here LOCK, but I don't know
> how.
>
> Please help
>
> Bambero

You can set permissions on a per table basis.  But to implement per row
permissions I think you will have to roll your own.

Probably need to add a column for who owns the row and the check that
when you perform operations on the row.

--
Scot L. Harris <webid@cfl.rr.com>

Re: row access

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 18:50:56 +0200,
  Bambero <robert@agiti.net> wrote:
> GRANT for row access ?

It looks like you may be expecting individuals to own rows. I didn't
read that into your original post. GRANTing appropiate rights could allow
a table owner to be able to INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE while others could
only INSERT.

If you have some concept of a row owner, then you will probably want to
use triggers or rules.