Re: 7.2 or 7.4 for critical data?

From
"Lee Harr"
Date:
>I will be installing Debian distro soon at my company.  I'll be
>storing critical data and am wondering if I should go with stable 7.2
>version or use the 7.4 version (for all the latest features and bug
>fixes).  I'm currently doing the research for the management here.
>
>I have checked the newsgroups/blogs/websites and there doesn't seem to
>be any major problems with using 7.4 version.  If you are a DBA/system
>admin at your company and currently using 7.4 for critical data
>storing, please post your experiences and if they were positive or
>negative.

7.4.2 is the latest stable version. I see no reason to use anything else.

Re: 7.2 or 7.4 for critical data?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> 7.4.2 is the latest stable version. I see no reason to use anything else.

 From a longetvity perspective, 7.3.6 could be a good choice. It doesn't
have all the wizbang features that 7.4.2 does but it is "good enough"
for almost any application running PostgreSQL and has been battle tested
for a very long time.

7.4 is still a relatively new beast, as the upgrade to 7.4.2 proves. It
really depends on your cup of tea. We at Command Prompt, run and support
both and have no problems either way.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake