PERFORM statement inside procedure

From
"Rajat Katyal"
Hi:

In postgres documentation its written that if we execute query as PERFORM query inside our stored procedure; then the special variable FOUND is set to true if the query produced at least one row, or false if it produced no rows.

But FOUND variable is always returning true even my query is returning 0 records.

Please suggest me the solution.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajat.

Re: PERFORM statement inside procedure

From
Bill Moran
Date:
Rajat Katyal wrote:
> Hi:
>
> In postgres documentation its written that if we execute query as
> PERFORM /query /inside our stored procedure/;/ *then the special
> variable FOUND is set to true if the query produced at least one row, or
> false if it produced no rows.*
> **
> But FOUND variable is always returning true even my query is
> returning *0 records.*

FOUND appears to work correctly in the hundreds of stored procedures I wrote
last month.  (At least, I haven't found any problems _yet_)

You might do well to post more details about your usage.  Best would be to
post the actual stored procedure you're having problems with, along with the
version of Postgres in use.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies

Re: PERFORM statement inside procedure

Date:
Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> writes:
> Rajat Katyal wrote:
>> But FOUND variable is always returning true even my query is
>> returning *0 records.*

> FOUND appears to work correctly in the hundreds of stored procedures I wrote
> last month.  (At least, I haven't found any problems _yet_)

Works for me too, in recent releases.  I believe PERFORM did not originally
set FOUND ... are you reading the documentation that goes with your server
version?

[ digs in CVS logs... ]  Here we go:

    * src/pl/plpgsql/src/pl_exec.c: plpgsql's PERFORM statement now
    sets FOUND depending on whether any rows were returned by the
    performed query.  Per recent pgsql-general discussion.

So it should work in 7.3 or later.

            regards, tom lane

Re: PERFORM statement inside procedure

From
"Rajat Katyal"
Hi:

Iam using Postgres version 7.3. As requested I have pasted the stored procedure below. Here Iam using PERFORM statement (marked in bold) but FOUND variable next to this statement always returns true. I dont want to use EXECUTE as it slow down the process.

Please suggest me the solution at your earliest.

Regards,
Rajat.

CREATE FUNCTION "public"."transform_customer_billinginsertupdate" () RETURNS trigger AS'
declare
updateSql          varchar;
checkPKSql          varchar;
recordValue        varchar;
tempField          varchar;
relName     varchar;
attrName    varchar;
debugMode    varchar;
begin
attrName := TG_ARGV[1];
relName := TG_ARGV[0];

updateSql = ''UPDATE "transform_customer_billing" set '';
IF NEW."cust_acct_no" is not null then
updateSql := updateSql || '' "cust_acct_no" = '' || quote_literal(NEW."cust_acct_no") || '', '';
END IF;
IF NEW."inv_no" is not null then
updateSql := updateSql || '' "inv_no" = '' || quote_literal(NEW."inv_no") || '', '';
END IF;
IF NEW."inv_date" is not null then
updateSql := updateSql || '' "inv_date" = '' || quote_literal(NEW."inv_date") || '', '';
END IF;
IF NEW."inv_co_orig" is not null then
updateSql := updateSql || '' "inv_co_orig" = '' || quote_literal(NEW."inv_co_orig") || '', '';
END IF;
IF NEW."inv_tot_amt" is not null then
updateSql := updateSql || '' "inv_tot_amt" = '' || quote_literal(NEW."inv_tot_amt") || '', '';
END IF;
IF NEW."inv_disc_amt" is not null then
updateSql := updateSql || '' "inv_disc_amt" = '' || quote_literal(NEW."inv_disc_amt") || '', '';
END IF;
IF NEW."inv_net_amt" is not null then
updateSql := updateSql || '' "inv_net_amt" = '' || quote_literal(NEW."inv_net_amt") || '', '';
END IF;
IF NEW."cust_pay_amt" is not null then
updateSql := updateSql || '' "cust_pay_amt" = '' || quote_literal(NEW."cust_pay_amt") || '', '';
END IF;
IF NEW."cust_pay_date" is not null then
updateSql := updateSql || '' "cust_pay_date" = '' || quote_literal(NEW."cust_pay_date") || '', '';
END IF;
IF NEW."cust_tot_out_bal" is not null then
updateSql := updateSql || '' "cust_tot_out_bal" = '' || quote_literal(NEW."cust_tot_out_bal") || '', '';
END IF;
updateSql := substring(updateSql, 0, length(updateSql)-1);
checkPKSql := ''select * from "transform_customer_billing" '';
updateSql := updateSql || '' where "inv_no" = '' || quote_literal(new."inv_no");
checkPKSql := checkPKSql || '' where "inv_no" = '' || quote_literal(new."inv_no");
PERFORM checkPKSql;
if FOUND then
execute updateSql;
return null;
else
return new;
end if;
end;
'LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE CALLED ON NULL INPUT SECURITY INVOKER;