initdb and login after

From
alex@icctools.com
Date:
Ive been having a weird problem recently. Ive been using initdb to
initialize a new postgres, but the as soon as i try and log in, i keep
on getting and "no PostgreSQL user name specified in startup packet"
error. Should this not be ok? I should be able to log in as the user
that inited the db and no pass so i can create new users and password
right? What am i doing wrong? this used to work fine!

thanks!

--
Alexander Cohen
http://www.toomuchspace.com

Re: initdb and login after

Date:
alex@icctools.com writes:
> Ive been having a weird problem recently. Ive been using initdb to
> initialize a new postgres, but the as soon as i try and log in, i keep
> on getting and "no PostgreSQL user name specified in startup packet"
> error. Should this not be ok?

That's not an easy error to get --- most of our client-side programs try
hard to provide some user name.  What are you doing to "log in", exactly?
Do you perhaps have PGUSER set to an empty string in your environment?

            regards, tom lane