PG's table inheritance and object table in Oracle

From
David Garamond
Date:
Is there anyone using object table in Oracle? How does it differ from
table inheritance in PG (aside from the declaration syntax).

I actually just found out about table inheritance today, and absolutely
love it! However, it's a shame if this feature is totally unportable.
Are there any other popular RDBMS carrying the same kind of feature?
(I've checked Oracle 9i, Mimer 9.2, FB 1.5, SQLServer 2k, DB2 8.1...)

--
dave

Re: PG's table inheritance and object table in Oracle

Date:
David Garamond wrote:
> Is there anyone using object table in Oracle? How does it differ from
> table inheritance in PG (aside from the declaration syntax).
>
> I actually just found out about table inheritance today, and absolutely
> love it! However, it's a shame if this feature is totally unportable.
> Are there any other popular RDBMS carrying the same kind of feature?
> (I've checked Oracle 9i, Mimer 9.2, FB 1.5, SQLServer 2k, DB2 8.1...)

I thought the inheritance was in the SQL99 or SQL200X standard, and we
made adjustments a few years ago to match it.  See the developers's FAQ
for a link to the standards.