Re: PHP or JSP? That is the question.

From
"Bas Scheffers"
Date:
> brought to my attention is that PHP is natively supported by Apache
> and JSP requires a separate interpreter (Jakarta or whatever).
There is more to life than Apache and there are much better Java solutions
than Jakarta! If you want to go the Java way, do yourself a favour and use
http://www.orionserver.com/ It's the fastest, most reliable and most
compliant of all the servlet engines out there.

By the sounds of it, you are a beginner in any technology. If you are
thinking of persuing this as a carreer, Java is a good choice as Java
developers have much more choice of jobs (also non-web related!) and tend
to fetch more (_much_ more, in this town anyway) money. That is if you are
going to be any good, of course! ;-)

But I don't like Java too much for web apps and wouldn't recomend it to
any beginner that wants quick and reliable results! My favourite
technology (and no doubt that of many on this list) is AOLserver
(http://aolserver.com) It's fast, reliable and uses the wonderful Tcl
programming language that I can recomend to any beginner; it is clean,
simple and without many pitfalls or a dozen different commands for doing
essentialy the same thing. (Unlike PHP...) It doesn't make you popular on
Slashdot though, if that is what you are after. :)

Good luck!

Bas.

Re: PHP or JSP? That is the question.

From
Jeremiah Elliott
Date:
Bas Scheffers wrote:

>>brought to my attention is that PHP is natively supported by Apache
>>and JSP requires a separate interpreter (Jakarta or whatever).
>>

>There is more to life than Apache and there are much better Java solutions
>than Jakarta! If you want to go the Java way, do yourself a favour and use
>http://www.orionserver.com/ It's the fastest, most reliable and most
>compliant of all the servlet engines out there.
>
>By the sounds of it, you are a beginner in any technology. If you are
>thinking of persuing this as a carreer, Java is a good choice as Java
>developers have much more choice of jobs (also non-web related!) and tend
>to fetch more (_much_ more, in this town anyway) money. That is if you are
>going to be any good, of course! ;-)
>
>But I don't like Java too much for web apps and wouldn't recomend it to
>any beginner that wants quick and reliable results! My favourite
>technology (and no doubt that of many on this list) is AOLserver
>(http://aolserver.com) It's fast, reliable and uses the wonderful Tcl
>programming language that I can recomend to any beginner; it is clean,
>simple and without many pitfalls or a dozen different commands for doing
>essentialy the same thing. (Unlike PHP...) It doesn't make you popular on
>Slashdot though, if that is what you are after. :)
>
>Good luck!
>
>Bas.

>TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
>      joining column's datatypes do not match

As far as server support goes, apache doesn't have native support for
php (hence mod_php).
If your are running a linux distribution that happens to have mod_php
support set up you are good. Manually configuration on the other hand
can be a huge task for  newbs.  Installing jakarta on the other hand is
just extracting the tar file, and setting the CLASSPATH. thats it.

finding online help/forums/examples is a _lot_ better with php. Most
jsp/servlet developers have a java background, often it is assumes that
you know java.

I am running four jakarta/tomat servers with no problems. Stability is
great.

Re: PHP or JSP? That is the question.

From
Cott Lang
Date:
On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 01:40, Bas Scheffers wrote:

> There is more to life than Apache and there are much better Java solutions
> than Jakarta! If you want to go the Java way, do yourself a favour and use
> http://www.orionserver.com/ It's the fastest, most reliable and most
> compliant of all the servlet engines out there.

It's always funny how everyone says that about their particular servlet
engine, yet every benchmark declares a different winner (if any). :)

http://www.webperformanceinc.com/library/ServletReport/index.html

For $1500, I don't see any big value in Orion over Tomcat ($0) or Resin
($500), especially since Orion appears to be behind both Resin and
Tomcat with JSDK 2.3 and JSP 1.2.