Postgres and disk space

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
Is it possible to make data files owned by a unix user other than
postgres?

It would be convenient for me because that would help to enforce quotas.

Are there other methods? Is it dangerous (aside from the dangers to that
user, obviously) to let them delete files in their data directory? Does
postgres handle out-of-disk errors in a reasonable way?

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: Postgres and disk space

Date:
Jeff Davis wrote:
> Is it possible to make data files owned by a unix user other than
> postgres?
>
> It would be convenient for me because that would help to enforce quotas.

No, it isn't possible.  Once we have tablespaces, you could put
different databases on different file systems with different quotas, but
each file system quote would have to be for the postgres user.

> Are there other methods? Is it dangerous (aside from the dangers to that
> user, obviously) to let them delete files in their data directory? Does
> postgres handle out-of-disk errors in a reasonable way?

Yes, we handle out-of-disk space errors just fine, though 7.4.2 is the
recommended version for such cases because we have had more testing
there for that case.