INSERTS and Queries

From
"C G"
Date:
Dear All,

I can use insert with 'select' if I do this

INSERT INTO TABLE t1 (col1) SELECT stuff FROM t2;

But I want to insert more than one thing into the table, e.g.

INSERT INTO TABLE t1 (col1,col2) SELECT stuff FROM t2 , 100;

Any ideas on how I would achieve this?

Thanks

Colin

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

Re: INSERTS and Queries

From
Russ Brown
Date:
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 13:36:35 +0000, C G <csgcsg39@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I can use insert with 'select' if I do this
>
> INSERT INTO TABLE t1 (col1) SELECT stuff FROM t2;
>
> But I want to insert more than one thing into the table, e.g.
>
> INSERT INTO TABLE t1 (col1,col2) SELECT stuff FROM t2 , 100;
>
> Any ideas on how I would achieve this?

INSERT INTO TABLE t1 (col1,col2) SELECT stuff, 100 FROM t2;

> Thanks
>
> Colin

> Express yourself with cool emoticons - download MSN Messenger today!
> http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: INSERTS and Queries

From
Nick Barr
C G wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I can use insert with 'select' if I do this
>
> INSERT INTO TABLE t1 (col1) SELECT stuff FROM t2;
>
> But I want to insert more than one thing into the table, e.g.
>
> INSERT INTO TABLE t1 (col1,col2) SELECT stuff FROM t2 , 100;
>
> Any ideas on how I would achieve this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Colin

> Express yourself with cool emoticons - download MSN Messenger today!
> http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

The SELECT clause can be any ordinary SELECT clause, that can return
multiple columns from a table. So for example:

INSERT INTO table (col1, col2) SELECT col1, col2 from table2;

Also, just like standard SELECT statements, the following would also work:

INSERT INTO table (col1, col2) SELECT col1, 100 FROM table2;

HTH

Nick

Re: INSERTS and Queries

From
Bill Moran
C G wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I can use insert with 'select' if I do this
>
> INSERT INTO TABLE t1 (col1) SELECT stuff FROM t2;
>
> But I want to insert more than one thing into the table, e.g.
>
> INSERT INTO TABLE t1 (col1,col2) SELECT stuff FROM t2 , 100;
>
> Any ideas on how I would achieve this?

INSERT INTO TABLE t1 (col1, col2) SELECT stuff, morestuff FROM t2;

If you want to instert some constant:

INSERT INTO TABLE t1 (col1, col2) SELECT stuff, 100 FROM t2;

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies