cannot extend error

From
harjancheema@hotmail.com (harjan)
Date:
Hi
We are using PostgreSQL 7.3.2

We have a transaction (JDBC) using which a postgres function is
called. Certain times (1 in 20 ..at times even less), we get this
error:

cannot extend "table name" input/output error check free disk space

The hard disk has about 1 gb free space.

Pls advise.
Thanks in advance.

Harjan

Re: cannot extend error

Date:
harjancheema@hotmail.com (harjan) writes:
> cannot extend "table name" input/output error check free disk space
> The hard disk has about 1 gb free space.
> Pls advise.

The "check free disk space" bit is just a hint, which is not very
relevant in this case.  The critical part of that message is the
kernel error: "input/output error".  You apparently have got a disk
hardware problem.  I'd suggest running badblocks and/or replacing
the disk ...

            regards, tom lane