Creating GUID

From
"Ivar"
Date:
Hi,

How to generate GUID("f741d0ce-351c-4c8d-9625-d23765ca7f45") values in
postgre ?

Re: Creating GUID

From
Chris Gamache
Date:
You want

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/uniqueidentifier/projdisplay.php

CG

--- Ivar <ivar@lumisoft.ee> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How to generate GUID("f741d0ce-351c-4c8d-9625-d23765ca7f45") values in
> postgre ?

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Creating GUID

From
David Garamond
Date:
Chris Gamache wrote:
> You want
> http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/uniqueidentifier/projdisplay.php

Another alternative:

  http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pguuid/projdisplay.php

(How do the two compare, aside from uniqueidentifier seeming to be
Linux-only? Should I use one of the above for production purposes?)

--
dave

Re: Creating GUID

From
"Ivar"
Date:
Seems that none of them is same as MS GUID.

> Linux-only?
Seems so, damn currently use windows for developement.

"David Garamond" <lists@zara.6.isreserved.com> wrote in message
> Chris Gamache wrote:
> > You want
> > http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/uniqueidentifier/projdisplay.php
>
> Another alternative:
>
>   http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pguuid/projdisplay.php
>
> (How do the two compare, aside from uniqueidentifier seeming to be
> Linux-only? Should I use one of the above for production purposes?)
>
> --
> dave

Re: Creating GUID

From
David Garamond
Ivar wrote:
> Seems that none of them is same as MS GUID.

And as I recall, Microsoft has changed its GUID algorithm at least once.

>>Linux-only?
> Seems so, damn currently use windows for developement.

I'd say just create/write your own GUID algorithm, either in C or in
plperl/plruby. That's what I plan to do. It should be portable in
Windows and Unix.

--
dave