What Version Installed?

From
Phil Campaigne
Date:
Hi All,
How can I determine what version of postgresql is installed.  Can't find
answer in archives.
thanks,
Phil

Re: What Version Installed?

From
Roberto Andrade Fonseca
Hi:

El jue, 15-01-2004 a las 16:56, Phil Campaigne escribió:
> Hi All,
> How can I determine what version of postgresql is installed.  Can't find
> answer in archives.
> thanks,
SELECT version();
--
Saludos

Roberto Andrade Fonseca
Microsoft Certified Solitaire Player

Re: What Version Installed?

From
Alex Satrapa
Date:
Roberto Andrade Fonseca wrote:
> El jue, 15-01-2004 a las 16:56, Phil Campaigne escribió:
>
>>Hi All,
>>How can I determine what version of postgresql is installed.
>
> SELECT version();

What's the function or purpose of the file "PG_VERSION" in $PGDATADIR?

In my case, /var/lib/postgres/data/PG_VERSION contains "7.3"

Is this the version of PostgreSQL that created the database?

Alex Satrapa

Re: What Version Installed?

From
Reece Hart
Date:
There are several answers to this.

If you use a package manager like rpm (e.g., RedHat, SuSE, Mandrake), try:
tallac$ rpm -q postgresql
postgresql-7.3.4-3.rhl9
Most (all?) binaries take a the standard-ish --version flag, like this:
tallac$ initdb --version
initdb (PostgreSQL) 7.4.1
tallac$ postmaster --version
postmaster (PostgreSQL) 7.4.1
You'll notice that I've got two versions installed, so be careful about knowing which ones you're actually using. (BTW, I don't usually have two versions installed and doing so probably isn't a good idea for most people, but I happened to need 7.3.4's psql client briefly.)

Finally, you can ask the server you're talking to:
tallac$ psql -UPUBLIC -c 'select version()'
                           version
-------------------------------------------------------------PostgreSQL 7.4.1 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.96

-Reece
--
Reece Hart, Ph.D.                       rkh@gene.com, http://www.gene.com/
Genentech, Inc.                         650/225-6133 (voice), -5389 (fax)

Re: What Version Installed?

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
That's the file the backend uses to determine whether the directory it's
looking at is:

a) an initdb'd location
b) initdb'd with the right version

It bears no relation to your actual installed binaries though.

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 10:32:24AM +1100, Alex Satrapa wrote:
> Roberto Andrade Fonseca wrote:
> >El jue, 15-01-2004 a las 16:56, Phil Campaigne escribió:
> >
> >>Hi All,
> >>How can I determine what version of postgresql is installed.
> >
> >SELECT version();
>
> What's the function or purpose of the file "PG_VERSION" in $PGDATADIR?
>
> In my case, /var/lib/postgres/data/PG_VERSION contains "7.3"
>
> Is this the version of PostgreSQL that created the database?
>
> Alex Satrapa

> (... have gone from d-i being barely usable even by its developers
> anywhere, to being about 20% done. Sweet. And the last 80% usually takes
> 20% of the time, too, right?) -- Anthony Towns, debian-devel-announce

Attachment

Re: What Version Installed?

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
pcampaigne@charter.net (Phil Campaigne) writes:
> How can I determine what version of postgresql is installed.  Can't
> find answer in archives.

How to determine the version is well documented here...
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/functions-misc.html>
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="libertyrms.info" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>