From: Marc G. Fournier [mailto:scrappy@postgresql.org]
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2003 8:00 PM
To: Ausrack Webmaster
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] database failure..

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Ausrack Webmaster wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a database, which just happens to be the main database on a
> RAQ4..(cobalt)
> that even when recreated it still dies, even before readding any
> tables..
>
> Welcome to psql, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.
>
> Type:  \copyright for distribution terms
>        \h for help with SQL commands
>        \? for help on internal slash commands
>        \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>        \q to quit
>
> cobalt=# \d
> The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Succeeded.
>
> I can't dump either..
>
> getTables(): SELECT failed.  Explanation from backend: 'pqReadData()
> -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
>         This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
>         before or while processing the request.
> '.
>
> Any idea what might be causing this?

anything in the logs?  hardware failure maybe?  what version of
database?

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
(http://www.hub.org)
Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
7615664

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: FW: database failure..

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Ausrack Webmaster wrote:

> Nobody got any ideas on the below problem? :-(

 From the behaviour I would guess there is something corrupt in one of
the system catalogs of that database. Make sure the coredump size of the
postmaster process is unlimited, recreate the problem and you should
find a file named "core" in the data directory of that database.
Hopefully the postgres executable was built with enough symbol
information so that you can get a stack backtrace from that core file
with a debugger.

Jan

> [root /tmp]# psql -V
> psql (PostgreSQL) 7.0.2
> contains readline, history, multibyte support
> Portions Copyright (c) 1996-2000, PostgreSQL, Inc
> Portions Copyright (c) 1996 Regents of the University of California Read
> the file COPYRIGHT or use the command \copyright to see the usage and
> distribution terms.
>
> Nothing at all in the logs...How do I change the debugging/log level to
> show more?
>
> NB. a few of the DBs on the server dont have any problems at all...
>
> Jason

"scott.marlowe"
Date:
You're gonna have a hard time getting support for a version that old
(we've since seen 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, and 7.4 come out and 7.5 is in the cooker
right now.

If it's possible to backup your database, I'd highly recommend upgrading
postgresql on a test machine or something.  It sounds like you might have
a bad block on your hard drive, or possible 7.0.2 has managed to corrupt
the data files all on its own.

Note that 7.0.3 was the last of that line, so even if you're gonna stick
with 7.0.x, you should be running that version.

Each version of Postgresql since 6.5.x has gotten faster and more stable
in my experience, and many bugs have been squashed since the time that 7.0
was put out.

If you can backup the drive postgresql is on file level wise and test it
for bad blocks, that would be good, if it's IDE it might do well being
reformatted.

Also, look at running memtest86 on the box to make sure you don't have
flakey memory.  (www.memtest86.com, it's free)