PG 7.4 on Tru64 UNIX 4.0 + threads

From
Nikola Milutinovic
Date:
Hi guys.

Building 7.4 "as we speak". I've run into one minor building bug.

HW: DEC AlphaStation 200
OS: Digital UNIX 4.0D + SP9
PG: 7.4 sources

When I choose to build "with threading support", "configure" selects following
from OSF1 template:

THREAD_SUPPORT=yes
NEED_REENTRANT_FUNCS=no         # 4.0 2003-09-13
THREAD_LIBS="-pthread"

Well, this breaks to compile, since ${THREAD_LIBS} will be added as an option of
"/usr/bin/ld", which doesn't like it on 4.0D. I would propose to change it to:

THREAD_SUPPORT=yes
NEED_REENTRANT_FUNCS=no         # 4.0 2003-09-13
THREAD_CPPFLAGS="-pthread"
THREAD_LIBS="-lpthread"

I'm building with the new flags and I'll see if it comes up, runs and survives
the tests. If I'm successful, what is the proper channel for getting this update
into the sources?

Note: this is for 4.0 version, it might work flawlessly on Tru64 UNIX 5.x

Nix.

Re: PG 7.4 on Tru64 UNIX 4.0 + threads

Date:
Yes, please tell use if your changed fixed your threading problem on OSF.

Date:
Nikola Milutinovic wrote:
> Hi guys.
>
> Building 7.4 "as we speak". I've run into one minor building bug.
>
> HW: DEC AlphaStation 200
> OS: Digital UNIX 4.0D + SP9
> PG: 7.4 sources
>
> When I choose to build "with threading support", "configure" selects following
> from OSF1 template:
>
> THREAD_SUPPORT=yes
> NEED_REENTRANT_FUNCS=no         # 4.0 2003-09-13
> THREAD_LIBS="-pthread"
>
> Well, this breaks to compile, since ${THREAD_LIBS} will be added as an option of
> "/usr/bin/ld", which doesn't like it on 4.0D. I would propose to change it to:
>
> THREAD_SUPPORT=yes
> NEED_REENTRANT_FUNCS=no         # 4.0 2003-09-13
> THREAD_CPPFLAGS="-pthread"
> THREAD_LIBS="-lpthread"
>
> I'm building with the new flags and I'll see if it comes up, runs and survives
> the tests. If I'm successful, what is the proper channel for getting this update
> into the sources?
>
> Note: this is for 4.0 version, it might work flawlessly on Tru64 UNIX 5.x

Is this for a non-gcc compiler?  Strange you use -pthread for compile
and -lpthread for link.  Is that correct?