PG_DUMP question

From
Alex
Date:
Hi,
is ther a way to pass a password to the pg_dump command to avoid being
prompted for it.
I want to execute the dump from a perl or shell script and dont want to
open accees for the user in the pg_hba.conf

I tried
PGUSER=userid PGPASSWD=passwd pg_dump -Fc -f dump.db mydb;

Thanks
Alex

Re: PG_DUMP question

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 09:31:43AM +0900, Alex wrote:

> is ther a way to pass a password to the pg_dump command to avoid being
> prompted for it.
> I want to execute the dump from a perl or shell script and dont want to
> open accees for the user in the pg_hba.conf

Use the ~/.pgpass file.  It will work for any libpq program, not just
pg_dump.

"I call it GNU/Linux. Except the GNU/ is silent." (Ben Reiter)

Re: PG_DUMP question

From
Alex
Date:
Thanks,
but I am looking for a way to pass the password to the command rather
than using another config or password file.
I store my config infos in an xml file.
I thought I could set the environment var as suggested on some sites but
it does not seem to be working.
Alex

Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 09:31:43AM +0900, Alex wrote:
>

>>is ther a way to pass a password to the pg_dump command to avoid being
>>prompted for it.
>>I want to execute the dump from a perl or shell script and dont want to
>>open accees for the user in the pg_hba.conf
>>

>Use the ~/.pgpass file.  It will work for any libpq program, not just
>pg_dump.

Re: PG_DUMP question

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 05:31:45PM +0900, Alex wrote:

> but I am looking for a way to pass the password to the command rather
> than using another config or password file.
> I store my config infos in an xml file.
> I thought I could set the environment var as suggested on some sites but
> it does not seem to be working.

It should work.  Note though that it is called PGPASSWORD, not PGPASSWD
as your example was showing.  Be sure to export it.

"Las cosas son buenas o malas segun las hace nuestra opinión" (Lisias)